Buy American made?

Don Fischer

I really don't care where a product is made. But then I don't have enough money to be choosy either! I've got three ABU casting reels, round ones. All over 30 yrs old and still working. But even though I had those over the years I have bought more casting reels for no other reason than I felt like it. My ABU's are all made in Sweeden but today I read where they are coming from China now and people are dising them. I somehow suspect that the reason is not because there's anything wrong with them but they are made in China. I don't have anything against the Chineese people, it's their government I don't like!

amo16

Always. On everything. Only exception is one car because they don’t make the version of it US. Made sure my truck came out of US plants.

My American products for hunting :

Nosler rifles
Leupold
Benchmade
Kennetrek

While yes some of the parts of these can come from overseas they are US Companies.
Kenetreks are made in Italy.

belshawelk

Kenetreks are made in Italy.
Yes but American company. Most all boots are made elsewhere. Virtually anything you buy will have a component made out of country. Could be the rubber, laces, eyelets, or most any other product. Sure I prefer 100% forged and grown in U.S. but it’s pretty hard. Next best is US owned company with US employees.

Bullshot

Two schools of though… buy American made for “patriotic” purposes or quality made. Countries like US, Germany, Japan, Italy have a reputation (not all companies) of higher quality, more skilled labor. The products are more expensive usually but the value lies in the usefulness, ruggedness, accuracy, what-have-you that defines the product. China on the other hand has the technical know-how but doesn’t give a damn about dumping crap on the world if the buyers demand a penny off they will give it by sacrificing something important. End result is even their higher end products are usually 95% decent than still a dumpster fire in the last 5% which could be a fastener, a seal, metallurgy, or anything that diminishes the product to a peice of crap. But by then it is out of their hands and on our shores and shortly in our landfills.

Leupold scopes… kennetrek boots….mystery ranch packs (american company & quality sewn abroad), U.S. made firearms (to the early 2000’s), Mathews, Black Widow bows, Hornady, Nosler, Toyota vehicles….U.S. grown produce….German optics, Japanese cameras…etc etc. You have to shop around for quality and expertise, but generally a “made in China” sticker does not inspire confidence, sadly.

Last edited:

std7mag

I have 2 Redfield Revenge scopes, under the Leupold banner that were made in the Philipines.

Used to be the top tier glass was from Germany.
Now it seems to be from Japan.

Thanks to our trade practices and the endeavor to produce profits for the board, there are many US based companies that are manufactured overseas.

ILbowhntr

In the end in a global economy does it really matter? That's a question not a snarky comment.
My “buy American” philosophy is really better described as “avoid China”….but it doesn’t have quite the same ring. In my mind it does matter, but not for the reasons many people support this idea, which is keeping US Jobs. It is a global economy today, and I purchase (or don’t purchase) many products based solely on where they are made. China is not our friend…and we (the US Gov‘t and the US Consumer) have given them the economic power to become a global threat to most everything we stand for and value as a country. China is not our friend.

Jason73

My “buy American” philosophy is really better described as “avoid China”….but it doesn’t have quite the same ring. In my mind it does matter, but not for the reasons many people support this idea, which is keeping US Jobs. It is a global economy today, and I purchase (or don’t purchase) many products based solely on where they are made. China is not our friend…and we (the US Gov‘t and the US Consumer) have given them the economic power to become a global threat to most everything we stand for and value as a country. China is not our friend.
I can see all the cheap plastic molded and terribly cheap steel products made in China being easier to avoid. On the other hand purchasing products that contain multiple pieces, manufactured all over the world, are much harder to discern where to say it was made. So for me personally I don't have time to waste looking at labels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CruiserBill