Bullet weight for Ibex

David58

I am preparing for elk season, getting my new scope to play well with me and my old 30-06 rifle. So far, 1.5" group at 200, using 180gr Rem CoreLokt, figure I am minute of elk.

Ibex, likely different - longer shots, not as big a critter. I am planning to use 165gr Rem ammo, but is 150gr a better choice?

Recommendations welcome!

I have not hunted them but

Shoots-straight
Happy Myles
Europe

have hunted them in Tajikistan and Spain, you might want to reach out to them

Are you hunting them in New Mexico, Spain, or ?

Regardless, enjoy your hunt

I have not hunted them but

Shoots-straight
Happy Myles
Europe

have hunted them in Tajikistan and Spain, you might want to reach out to them

Are you hunting them in New Mexico, Spain, or ?

Regardless, enjoy your hunt
New Mexico, up (UP) in the Floridas.

The big billies weigh 100lbs. I'd shoot one load at both, but big bull elk weigh 800lbs so I would pick something besides core-lokt. 180 gr is fine for anything out there.

Honestly, this sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

I saw a 180g corelokt cleanly kill a cow elk with minimal blood shot. The premium 162g ELD-x made a absolute disaster of blood shot mangled meat on the next cow.

Pretty neat seeing premium bullets do the same thing as cheap Remington’s have been doing for decades. To the tune of a higher price and a lot more wasted meat.

You owe it to every animal to shoot the best thing you can at them. I get sub-MOA with core-lokt, but you also get their potential for bullet failure. They are inexpensive for a reason. Spending $3-4/round is not breaking anyone's bank.

I’d just want a bullet that flew a little better than a core lokt. Longer shots could be possible with the Ibex. Also, not sure of the quality of recent Remington products.
The OP posted that he is getting 1.5" groups at 200 yards with Core-Lokts. If that follows true, that's 3" at 400 yards. I'd guess that most hunters couldn't shoot that good with any bullet.

I see a lot of posts about bullet failure. In my 55 years of big game hunting, I can only think of one case that I could call bullet failure, and that was probably more of the wrong bullet than anything else.

Since the late '70s one of my favorite hunting rifles has been my .257 Ackley shooting 117 grain Sierra GameKing bullets, which are a far cry from the modern "premium" bullets. With that combination I've killed dozens of deer and antelope and made one shot kills on my 3 bighorn rams, Dall ram, mountain caribou, and one of my best 6x6 bull elk.

Of course I’m always a fan of the lighter flatter shooting bullet but you’re going to be shooting some tremendous distances up in the Florida’s. Contact Lance at Hendershot ammunition 240 347 4483 They are as good as it gets

I know old post, but shoot what ever the gun likes and stick to killing stuff with it corloc , federal classic, Winchester sup X , kill train loads of elk and sheep , moose before the new supEr premium bullets ;)
if the gun likes barns 165 ttsx or accubond, or any premium ammunition, well great but I wouldn’t worry about it!
my gun likes federal classic 180 and , caribou, elk , mulie, white tail
nilgia all are DRT

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back