Brit report on my Elk hunt (and deer)

devon deer

Hi All,
OK, as i thought the Elk hunt would be tough, but as i did the deer hunt first i shall report on that first.
We visited an area out east on BLM land, strange weather, one of the days it was 70f!
I did begin to wonder why i packed all my wet weather gear and thermal base layers.
Anyway using a spotting scope a herd of mule deer were located, mainly does but a couple of bucks were seen amongst them, one with quite a nice head and the other with just one antler.
So off we went in pursuit, they must have been at least 2 miles away when they went behind a hill out of sight, at which point another small group came into view, my buddy said there is a better buck amongst them, but we had no idea where the other group had gone, so being extra careful we did a huge 3 mile stalk and found both groups again, the lead doe suspected something was up but didnt panic, we went out of sight again and then decided to crawl, holy crap, what the hell is a thing called a prickly pear! still finding the bloody things in my legs back in the UK! When we reappeared the doe had taken the now merged groups further away, so i ranged the nice buck, 404 yards, now that would be the longest shot i had ever taken, i waited until the doe's moved out of the way, the buck was thrashing a bush, and i squeezed the trigger, buck down!

Now to the Elk hunt, i had been watching your weather for weeks, 2 weeks prior to arrival heavy snow, great thinks me, then when we arrive, no snow, which obviously meant we had to go higher which was a problem for my ex-smoking buddy who just couldnt keep up, and on one outing said he felt 'dizzy' and wanted to go back down, puffing on his inhalers.
So that limited me, but on the 2 times i went out without him i saw Elk, sadly all cow's and i had a bull tag, then came the snow, sod's law we had to go home then!
But i have total respect for you Elk hunters, that is the hardest thing i have ever done in my life, you are a tough bunch!

So i went home with my Elk tag intact but had a great time and met some fantastic people.
I would love to return one day but the lady in doors has said NO!
But i just need to work on her a bit, perhaps a holiday somewhere hot?

Here are a couple of pics from the deer hunt.
IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

Thanks for all your help and advice over the past year.

Cheers

Richard

Last edited:
So off we went in pursuit, they must have been at least 2 miles away when they went behind a hill out of sight, at which point another small group came into view, my buddy said there is a better buck amongst them, but we had no idea where the other group had gone, so being extra careful we did a huge 3 mile stalk and found both groups again, the lead doe suspected something was up but didnt panic, we went out of sight again and then decided to crawl, holy crap, what the hell is a thing called a prickly pear! still finding the bloody things in my legs back in the UK!

That's funny chit right there. Your not the only one to have barbs left in your body from our little local cactus. Lots of Antelope hunters have their first contact with that little plant and learn the hard way.

So i went home with my Elk tag intact but had a great time and met some fantastic people.
I would love to return one day but the lady in doors has said NO!
But i just need to work on her a bit, perhaps a holiday somewhere hot?

Would there be the option of finding an outdoors lady?

Congrats Richard on a successful trip. You are not the first, nor shall you be the last to go home with an unpunched elk tag.

Did you squeeze in any fly fishing?

It has been fun reading the lead up to your trip, and now to see your smile while holding your mule deer brought a smile to my face. I also laughed loud enough while reading your description of the prickly pear cactus that I may have embarrased myself slightly at work today!:D

Just laughed out loud at the cactus story. Don't think there's a "western" guy on here that hasn't gotten a knee or butt or hand or arm stuck with those buggers at some point :D Great mule deer and believe me your not going to be the only one who's tried for elk and not been sucessful. It's tough work and requires a lot of things to come together just right including luck. Glad you could come and enjoy some of "our" critters in the US.

Richard, you impress me. Glad you had a good time, but too bad you weren't able to close the deal on your elk. Just guessing you will have some ow's for awhile. You think you have them all and then you find one that has just broken under the skin, then the tenderness until it can fester a little and pop it out.
Just guessing that your pards in the UK may think you might be just a little *off*.
Look forward to your story next year. What's up next?

Thanks for keeping us updated on your adventure to the USA. It's been a fun read. Congrats on a nice buck. Hope you enjoyed your time here and thanks for visiting. Come back soon!

Thanks Richard for your story and pics! Glad you dropped the buck and in some sense tag soup isn't that bad - the adventure in itself is what keeps me returning.

So what room will the euro buck find it's place? Seems you may have a trout or two on the wall somewhere? :)

Thanks again for sharing and grats on your experience.

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the trip. It was a pleasure meeting you guys down there, and hopefully at some point you make it back.

You definitely put forth the effort in some awesome country, just didn't have the luck fall in to place.

Richard, glad you had a good time; now it's time we started colluding to get your wife to change her tune. The bride and I will host you both for a week in Kissimmee, FL the first full week of May if you think it will help; that will give her some warm weather. Just get on Teletex once in awhile and start looking around to get the idea planted in her head, let her think it's her idea. Get a fly/drive to Sanford (Heathrow West), and don't worry about the lodging. Maybe by next year or soon after I'll have all my projects completed and could wind up back in the Rockies myself.

Sounds like a great adventure DD and to tag a nice buck is extra special after travelling all that way. Lets hope the handbrake lets you have a return trip to finish business with that bull elk..

Richard, bring your indoor lady with you, I would bet there are at least a couple of indoor ladies over here that would love to help her wear the numbers off of your credit card!!
I get to have a heaping helping of elk tag stew as well. Congrats on the deer and thanx for the pix and story!

Great lead up stories and so glad you were able to take a nice deer. An adventure to cherish for a long time. Hope you can make it back some day. No worries on the elk tag - I've had elk tag soup in so many ways I've taken to mounting them on the little wooded plaques you can buy at Walmart instead. Seriously though, start working on the wife now, you need to come back. BTW, I dug the last cactus thorn out of me last week- a left over from last month

Thanks for the story Devon... Yes...those elk are tough. All of us that live here experience it every year! With 10 or so weeks to hunt the $^#&*#*#'s I still only get one every couple years!

Nice job on the buck Richard, you earned it! Congrats on the long stalk and the long shot, sometimes those open ground mule deer won't let you get any closer. You'll remember that hunt every time you pull one of those cactus needles from your shin.

Impressive job Richard. I live here and haven't killed a muley buck yet...and you come all the way from the mother land and make it look easy.

we went out of sight again and then decided to crawl, holy crap, what the hell is a thing called a prickly pear! still finding the bloody things in my legs back in the UK! Richard

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news..................... BLM may send you a bill for this..........

SPECIAL FOREST PRODUCTS

As a service, the BLM provides the sale of certain forest products to the public. A valid permit must be in your possession at all times when cutting and removing forest products. You must be 18 years of age or older to purchase a permit.

Violations pertaining to the Terms and Conditions of any Forest Product Permit, Resource Damage, or Damage to Government Property shall be punishable by law.

Permits are available for firewood, posts, poles, Christmas Trees, transplants, and other items by request such a prickly pear cactus spines. Areas for removal of forest products will be designated on the permit.

Back