Brand new to archery

jerm8352

I could use some help. So here is the deal. I have never shot a bow or crossbow before in my life. I am looking to get started into hunting during the archery season to maximize time in the mountains and up my chances of filling tags. I mostly meat hunt both elk and deer and live in Pinedale, Wy. I have little preference as to whether to go the compound or crossbow route and as crossbows are legal in Wy either is fine with me. I know some get upset about crossbows but I am just trying to get out in the mountains and feed my family so I really could care less about the "glory" or whatever about using a compound vs a crossbow. I have some cabelas gift cards stacked up (I know its better to go the archery shop route but this is the money I have) and figure they will have some sort of sale here for the day after Thanksgiving or end of the year. I am just looking for some advice as to what to look for, brands, features, etc that I would need in getting my first bow/crossbow. I want to be able to hunt elk and deer with it and possibly antelope. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thank you all again. I have had so much help from this forum in the past for so many things! It really is a great place.

Even at Cabela's, go in and handle a few bows. Find the one that feels right to you and then shoot it. Don't let anyone tell you that you need to shoot this bow or that. You'll find the one that feels right to you.

I agree with elkhnter. Grab as many bows as you can & see what feels good to you than shoot them. Cabelas & Bass Pro usually have some ready to hunt bow packages that are pretty decent
for a newbie. The first bow I bought was from Bass Pro & it was a Diamond Rock by Bowtech. It had everything I needed to get started & I practiced as much as possible & read everything I could about bowhunting. I have been shooting Hoyt bows for a while & love them. Practice & do is much research as you can is my advice. Good luck you are entering into an addiction for sure!!!

Ditto to above. Find something that agrees with you. And that means shoot it.

I cannot speak to X-bow, but to be proficient with a compound bow you need to have good mechanics/form. It does not matter what name is on your bow when it comes having good form. You are a human operating a finely crafted machine. Here is a press release, when you do not hit where you intended, it's YOU not the bow!

Enjoy! (As an archer of 35+ years)

I would agree with some of the past comments in that working with an archery shop to have you properly fitted. Once you have that completed try out as many bows as possible.
Do not associate price with quality.
What works for you may not work for the next archer.

Easiest way to get in is find a buddy that already does it. Or get to an archery shop.
I'd go with Compound over Xbow, if you go out of state you'll have more opportunity.
There are brands with lifetime warranties, so look at that.
Get lessons so you don't start making bad habits at the beginning.
start with trigger release.
get into leagues, make you a better shooter and fun.

Crossbow is much easier if all you're looking for is a legal weapon for bow season. Much more efficient route to legally hunting in September.

Thank you all for the insight. Still not sure which direction I'm going but I will get into a shop and try some out.

Also - check out some of the Nock On podcasts / videos that John Dudley has. He covers form very well. It'll help you get an idea of common terms - and things to look for in the bow when you are shooting. I do agree with the above, shoot many bows and pick the one that feels the best.

Back