Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Black Bear Newb

RidgeRoamingRichard

Hey everyone. I am going to be hunting bear this spring for the first time (did a little looking this fall, but haven't devoted much time to it). I've got a few spots picked out but I'm not sure what to concentrate on. I plan to walk some closes loggers south of Arlee. I've also got a trip planned to the Hamilton area, where I'll be hiking up to a glassing point and watching the southern slopes of the big valleys along the MT/Idaho border. I plan to use a similar method when I hunt Gates of the Mountains.

Do I have the right idea? Since there will be plenty of griz, I figure the black bears will stick to higher elevations. The southern slopes should green up first and our snowpack should mean they can find water up high.

Anyone have tips or suggestions?

I would stay off the reservation, personally.

Last edited:
Head west off the reservation along the clark fork corridor - good Black Bear country all over there.

Bitteroots are ok for Black Bears if you can get to a good glassing point, but you may find road access tough for much of the season due to snow. If you're heading to that area, I'd recommend looking for bears in the Sapphires instead. Easier access, plenty of bears.

Head west off the reservation along the clark fork corridor - good Black Bear country all over there.

Bitteroots are ok for Black Bears if you can get to a good glassing point, but you may find road access tough for much of the season due to snow. If you're heading to that area, I'd recommend looking for bears in the Sapphires instead. Easier access, plenty of bears.
Thank you, I'll look at those areas!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back