Bison released in Badlands

"Before bison could be released into the new landscape, measures had to be taken to ensure that the animals do not mingle with livestock on nearby ranches. According to Tupper, the park spent $1.218 million on 43 miles of new fencing and three cattle guards"
That's a ton of money

Not counting the cattle guards that comes to over $28,000 per mile! Nice job if you can get it! I know bison are tough, but really?

Let’s remember bison once numbered in the tens of millions. This is a token effort at best but I’ll take it and smile. 😀

Looks like more than half of that expense was covered by donations from charitable organizations. Is there a Bison hunting organization like RMEF or Whitetails Unlimited, etc?

Pretty freakin cool!!
Just need states to not classify them as cattle anymore and treat them as wild game animals.

I think its totally cool to see more of any native animal on the landscape. Good work

Not counting the cattle guards that comes to over $28,000 per mile! Nice job if you can get it! I know bison are tough, but really?

$5.36 per LF including cattle guards? Not an outrageous price. Especially if this is double fencing. I'm all for the effort and cost.

There isn’t a number we shouldn’t spend to repair the mistakes our ancestors made in destroying the native herds. If you believe in conservation then you should believe in restoration also. I mean not to get political but the government spends untold amounts on stuff that’s not nearly as cool as wildlife restoration.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back