Caribou Gear Tarp

Bird Retrieval

802flyfish

My 1 year old GSP has a really strong drive to fetch anything, however she will run around with it until I give her a low stimulation shock. Anyone have a recommendation on obtaining a better retrieve without force fetching her?

When one of my dogs plays the keep away game with me,, I growl at them to remind them of their place in the pack.

I've evolved to using the growl quite a bit. They absolutely know what it means. It's not very often that things need to escalate beyond that.

Is there a reason you're looking to get around force fetching? You gain so much more than just a fetch with that process. It will usually strengthen obedience to a level that's hard to get with other methods. My GSP's were similar prior to force fetching. Now they're just as eager to bring me the bird than they are to go get it.

We plan on force fetching her, but unfortunately the trainer won’t be available until after hunting season.

We plan on force fetching her, but unfortunately the trainer won’t be available until after hunting season.
Do it yourself? Although you’re short on time to have it complete before hunting season.

I would work on your recall without game or dummies first and make sure it’s 110% spot on. As in the dog RUNS to you at the FIRST call. Then, go back to dummy work.

I force fetched my first two bird dogs. It was not real difficult and did cure my first dog from chewing on birds as she retrieved them.

Since then, I don't bother with it. I accept the natural retrieve they have and call it good. Given I field trial my dogs in horseback stakes,,, there are enough other things to get right.

Every setter I've owned had some level of retrieve in them. The last few have been pretty decent in that regard. They will never match a good lab,,, but a lab can't match what they do well, either.

Agree on above. Work on recall first without bird. Then work on retrieve...and you can do a light force fetch. You just need a table or some place to work (I used a top of a doghouse with a short lead tied to the kennel), and a dog that is eager for bumpers or something fun to retrieve, and then start...you can both learn together, and if doesnt have to be painful. Have done it to various degrees with different dogs and adjust to meet the temperament. Just end it with fun everytime and after several sessions the dog will be jumping on the table wanting to do it.

The hall way and the door training. Throw the dummy down the hallway. If the dog doesn't drop by you and wants to play just go in the room behind your back and the game is over. Do three throws a day and if the dog doesn't drop on command just enter the room behind you. They typically come around quickly.

My 1 year old GSP has a really strong drive to fetch anything, however she will run around with it until I give her a low stimulation shock. Anyone have a recommendation on obtaining a better retrieve without force fetching her?

Work on the "here" Command with the E-collar- voice and whistle command----------without any birds or fetching toys. Get the "here" command solid, then go back out and shoot birds or throw fetch toys and command "here" as the dog touches the bird (Do not use the E-Collar with birds/fetch toys at this point!!!)

Thanks for all the info. Going back to the basics. I did buy a whistle that I would like To incorporate with the “Here” command. She is very stubborn but I think she’ll come through.

Young dogs especially those that like to retrieve want the game to last. In training make sure that you are giving the fetch item back every once and a while. If the game ends every time the dog gives you a dummy or bird what fun is that for the dog? When your in the field call your dog to you often give them some loving and then turn them out to hunt. Again if the fun ends every time you call dog then where is the fun in that. Never punish your dog for coming to you. Even if your angry about something. Best thing to do if the dog will not come to you with a bird then turn and walk the other way and call the dog to heal. Keep walking and then take the bird on the move. Make sure to give it back unless the dog tries to eat it. If the dog does come to you do not just instantly take the bird. Grab the dogs collar do not touch the bird love up the dog tell it how good it is give the dog a minute before you ask for the bird. Keep away only works if your a willing participant in the game. FF will clean up retriever work. But FF in itself is not about retrieving. The act of bird handling is just used to teach the dog to not refuse a command other wise pressure will be applied until you obey.

The dogs job is to get the bird your job is to retrieve the dog. Don't make your focus the bird. If you do the dog will know it.

Thanks. I’ll let her carry the dummy back home after we finish up. Walking backwards does tend to entice her on coming back. She is very food motivated so I give her a little treat when she retrieves to hand. This time around I plan on bringing her on a walk first before we start retrieving to see if she focuses more after burning off some steam.

She is pretty rough on birds... she doesn’t chew as much if I can grab it while she is on the move.

Attachments

• A589B5FE-F94E-4D77-A3D7-CB3CEEC70DF2.jpeg
    A589B5FE-F94E-4D77-A3D7-CB3CEEC70DF2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
Thanks. I’ll let her carry the dummy back home after we finish up. Walking backwards does tend to entice her on coming back. She is very food motivated so I give her a little treat when she retrieves to hand. This time around I plan on bringing her on a walk first before we start retrieving to see if she focuses more after burning off some steam.

She is pretty rough on birds... she doesn’t chew as much if I can grab it while she is on the move.
She is a great looking dog!

Use a check cord, but guide the dog in with short, sharp yanks without just pulling him to you. Make her come. When the dog gets to you do not take the bird....pet the dog down good and praise her for 10 or 15 seconds before quickly grabbing bird and putting it behind your back or in bird bag....let her know you want her, not the bird. He likely thinks he is playing a get-away game with you.

You have a great looking dog.

www.covemountainkennels.com

FF will teach proper hold but it may not totally clean up a chewing issue. One of the reason I never ever give my dogs chew toys especially ones with squeakers. It teaches the dog to chew on any thing it thinks might have a squeaker.
Do not do FF on your own if you have never done it. I would find a trainer that will work with you to teach you to FF your dog.

We went back to the basics and did retrieves with the check cord. She did really well. Well just have to keep at it. She likes running around with it but when she does come back she’ll drop it right at my feet.

We got her a bunch of toys, even squeekers.. However, she doesn’t really play with any of those anymore. Next dog I’ll forgo the squeaker toys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back