Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Bird dog questions

RyeGuy74

I've never bought a puppy from a breeder before so I was wondering what kind of questions do you recommend I ask a breeder about their dogs?

Health clearances first and foremost. Then I look at performance, do they hunt their dogs, do they run any of the AKC or HRC games, do they have tittles that would show their level of trainability. Everyone has the best hunting dog in the world if you ask them. The Hunt Test and Field Trial titles may not reflect true to life hunting scenarios, but it does give you an idea of what kind of dog you are looking at. Its been judged be a set of judges and shown a level of proficiency that can be used to evaluate the dogs natural and trained abilities. Just a good measuring stick. Then i always ask about temperament around the house, temperament on a hunt, and does it bark, whine etc. I feel like Noise can be an inherited trait.

What kind of dog are you looking for. Lab?

Health clearances first and foremost. Then I look at performance, do they hunt their dogs, do they run any of the AKC or HRC games, do they have tittles that would show their level of trainability. Everyone has the best hunting dog in the world if you ask them. The Hunt Test and Field Trial titles may not reflect true to life hunting scenarios, but it does give you an idea of what kind of dog you are looking at. Its been judged be a set of judges and shown a level of proficiency that can be used to evaluate the dogs natural and trained abilities. Just a good measuring stick. Then i always ask about temperament around the house, temperament on a hunt, and does it bark, whine etc. I feel like Noise can be an inherited trait.

What kind of dog are you looking for. Lab?
I'm looking at a Brittany Spaniel, but a Lab was a consideration for a long time!

Depending on the breed, I ask for DNA/Genetic screenings for certain things. I also want to meet both parents and make sure temperaments are to my liking. I'll ask for pedigree for both parents. I personally don't care about hunt tests or titles. In the Labrador world they are mostly American labs, and not what I am wanting in a dog. I also want a health guarantee to 2 years for my pup.

I'm looking at a Brittany Spaniel, but a Lab was a consideration for a long time!
I'm not familiar with the Brittany spaniels, but I would research the genetic afflictions that can be found in the breed and ensure that both parents have been screened for them.

Ask them if their Brittanies are American or French bloodlines. The American Brittany breed is a bit different. Larger dogs. They can be a little bigger running. Ask to meet the parents.

With most really well bred litters of bird dogs it will be quite unlikely to have the sire on site.

The sire might well live a thousand miles away.

So not seeing the male would not bother me. I would want to know why he was used and what he has done. Obviously, a female with puppies is not going to be available for a test hunt. I would want to see her and observe what I could,, build, temperament, etc.

If you have no direct knowledge of both the male and female,, you may get what you hope to get,, or not.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back