Big Gulch RFW Elk Hunt

dallsheep

After accumulating 7 preference points in the Colorado draw my son agreed to use them on a late season (end of November) either sex elk ranching for wildlife hunt on the Big Gulch ranch. We couldn't hunt opening day but arrived two days later and had 2.5 days to hunt. We met the ranch contact and he assigned us a tract and provided a more detailed map. The area he assigned us was 22,000 acres and told us there were hundreds of elk currently on the property. He indicated several hunters had already tagged out and thought there were only two other hunters in that tract. We drove to the property boundary for the area the next morning and talked to some other guys who were stopped, waiting for first light. They had hunted the previous day and filled one of their cow tags. Since they had already hunted the area we let them pass and enter the property first. As we waited for more daylight other trucks drove past and we started to wonder if we were going to have more company. We counted six other trucks in that same area that morning...so much for having the place to ourselves. The area was mostly open sagebrush hills with some trees and brush on the north facing slopes. There were elk tracks everywhere you looked in the 6 inches of snow, so we knew they were in the general area. The first morning we spotted some cows and some small bulls and then spotted a good five point bull at last light in a large herd. Our plan was to make a move on him the following day. Unfortunately, the large herd was nowhere to be found the next day. At around 10:30 we spotted three elk feeding on an open sidehill a couple of miles from the road. I looked in the spotting scope and they were all bulls. Perfect, a bachelor group. After a long hike and some luck spotting them bedded on a saddle, my son put a bullet in one of the bigger five points. After a few follow up shots he was on the ground for good. It was about 1pm when we took pictures and went to work quartering him. By 3:30 we had the pack frames loaded with the hind quarters and started back. During the hike back, I thought my son was going to just lay on the ground and never get up….it was a big load for the 160 lb, 6’2” kid. I was spent as well when we finally got to the truck, but a little hard work made the hunt a little sweeter….that’s what I kept telling myself anyway. We had a good night sleep then came back the next morning to pack the head and the remaining meat out. It was 8 degrees when we left the truck but we soon warmed up with the hike in. All in all a very enjoyable and somewhat challenging hunt.
IMG_2082.jpg

I learned a few things during the hunt. The property was checkerboarded with other private property, state land and blm, so without a gps it was difficult to determine some of the boundaries. There were fences that sometimes marked the boundaries but not all the time. So next time I’ll have a gps. We really got transfixed with finding the large herds and taking a bull from them instead of searching for those bachelor groups that are formed this time of year. A little more glassing could have picked out some others small groups. We were quite fortunate to find the group of 5 bulls.

I’ve seen quite a few negative posts on RFW property hunting but I have nothing but positive things to say about this experience. I don’t know if I would have used my own 7 points for the hunt but it was great for my son and I had a blast too. It would have been fairly easy to kill a cow on this hunt so if you want an almost guaranteed cow, these aren’t bad hunts. If you want a monster bull, I think that would be difficult but a respectable bull like my son’s is definitely doable but will take some work and a little luck.

I made a vow years ago to never set foot on a hunt in CO after they eliminated NRs from the RFW public drawings for tags with no warning. I was sitting on 7PPs for deer and elk and had the ranch picked out that I planned to hunt for a retirement present to myself when I had 10 or 11 PPs. All of a sudden the CO hunting booklet came out with a notice that there would be no more public drawings for tags under the RFW program for NRs. People all over the country, including some well know people in the hunting/shooting field, raised a stink about it and all we got from CO FWP was you ain't seen nothing yet! The least they could have done was let us use our PPs over a set number of years rather than eliminate us completely cold turkey. Many, including myself, will never forgive them for that and I've stayed true to my word for the last 15+ years and I'd bet some others have too. The elk and deer hunting in Wyoming is a lot better anyway with a lot longer seasons and nowhere near the orange as in CO!

Last edited:
That sounds like it was a great hunt.

I am with Topgun, though, on the Colorado thing. They will never see another dime of my hunting money between the RFW, gun laws, land control issues and liberal political climate. What a shame.

Nice bull! What did you think of the RFW hunt? Would you do it again? I've been eyeballing a four mile bull hunt myself.

Last edited:
If you want a cow or any bull it's not a bad gig. It is nice to have some private land that in some cases is all to yourself vs. having to compete with others. Four Mile was our other option but decided on Big Gulch due to the timing. If you go later in the season in these areas around Craig you should see hundreds of elk.

I have hunted the Blue Sage for a cow and a pronghorn doe and had a good time at both shots. Did not tag out on the cow as a death in the family of a group member necessitated an early departure but the other 2 had already tagged out on the first day. The point about the checkerboard nature of the land is really true. I was very glad to have the OnyX chip in my GPS...really cleared a couple of things up that could have been messy. For me the big attraction of these hunts is the timing. Hopefully I can get the little one on one next year for her first hunt. Taking her out of school for an entire week during 2nd season really isn't an option. And there are some ranches with BIG trophy potential (you can tell by points) like Kiowa creek out east of Castle Rock. I have seen some of those bulls at my taxidermist.......WOW!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back