Leupold Banner

Big Game and 140 E-tips in the 7mm-08

Dougfirtree

Anyone ever play with this combo? I happened to find a pound of Big Game at the store the other day and I've got the itch to play with a load. I tried that powder with several bullets in my old Winchester, without success, but the new Tikka is untested... It would have to be pretty fast and pretty accurate to compete with my current Varget load. I'd be curious to hear the results of other people's tinkerings.

dht

I use Big Game with 140gr nosler accubonds and e tips. .5 inches at 100 yards with both bullets. Shooting Weatherby Vangard. Just follow nosler load data, works well for me.

ImBillT

If you match the velocity of the Varget load, any change in accuracy will be minimal.

Brian in Montana

I use Big Game with 140gr nosler accubonds and e tips. .5 inches at 100 yards with both bullets. Shooting Weatherby Vangard. Just follow nosler load data, works well for me.
Same here. Never tried E-Tips, but Big Game and 140gn Accubonds are an excellent combination in my 7-08. I'd anticipate E-Tips shooting well.

oxn939

A lot of my rifles like the E tips as they're configured in factory ammo, whatever that is. Very boringly consistent terminal performance, too... have been very pleased with their results on Caribou, Pronghorn and Whitetail

std7mag

Velocity will probably be faster than Varget.
From what i've seen of my friend using Big Game, accuracy should be acceptable.

Dougfirtree

Well, I finally got around to testing it and it does seem to like this combo. The first two shots are in the same hole and the third I called low. Still managed a 1/2" group with the "flier." It shot well at 200 as well. Added 40+ fps to the velocity of my Varget load, with better accuracy, so this may be the keeper.
47.5 grains Big Game @2.8" IMG_4860.JPG

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kitecop