Bicycling with broadheads

davinski

Late onset bowhunter question here. I've been rifle hunting for decades but just picked up a bow a couple years ago. I hunt off a bike quite a bit and have been just strapping my bow to my pack to my back. I keep the arrows in the quiver attached to my bow. I'm a little concerned about wrecking and skewering myself if it's a real yard sale of a wreck. Does anyone carry their broadheads separately or am I just being overly paranoid about the whole thing? Safer, probably, but a real PIA and time consumer as well. Sidebar, has anyone ever heard of someone wrecking and having that issue? Thanks.

I'd strap the quiver somewhere else on the bike. So the broadheads aren't technically attached to your body if some gopher hole makes u go ass over tea kettle.

Like I always say better safe than stabbed.
Actually first time I've ever said that.

Well I’ve biked a lot and bow hunted a lot but have never combined the two. I have fallen on a bike enough though.

So, FWIW, I think, unless you have those broadheads in a hard case of some kind you never know. If you’re just tipping over or going over the handlebars, you’re probably OK. Any sort of tumbling and an arrow could be dislodged and or puncture through your quiver depending on the model and how you fall.

Really, all you need for bow hunting is a broadhead or two. It wouldn’t take that long to open a case and screw on and off a couple of Rages or Muzzys or whatever. If you’re concerned enough about it, just take the precaution. The extra two minutes and couple ounces is cheap insurance and peace of mind.

While never having hunted via bike, I have bow hunted horseback, and for my horses protection and mine I kept the broadheads in a hard case. Like NEWHunter said, it takes a few seconds to spin them on.

https://www.amazon.com/MTM-BH16-Bro...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=RV4402743AVSJB9S123J

For six bucks you should own one whether you're biking with it or not (assuming you don't own one).

I'd say carry in the case. I've bike hunted before and i'd rather just get to where i'm going safely with my gear intact than worry about getting lucky and needing to shoot quick from the bike. By the time you slow down, get off, get your bow, get the arrow, put the release on, etc., you're lucky if the animal is still there. Just my opinion, having done attempted it.

Last edited:
Thanks, all, especially for the link. I ordered the Rage broadhead box for mine. I didn't know those things existed...beats the heck out of the drill bit box I had set aside to try. This all generally confirms what I'm thinking. I carry a tourniquet, but I'd prefer to never use it.

I hadn't thought much about it either but when I say the Corey Jacobson video with the broadhead accident, I started considering a little more safety. The box seems like a good solution.

If you are THAT worried about it, get an arrow case.

272357.jpg

Then you just have to put them in your quiver. BH's take too long to screw on.

I carried my bow on a horse one time, via a sling. The thought of broadheads in the quiver never concerned me a bit, until I had a pack horse get snotty and ended up hitting the deck. My bow was beneath. Trust me, my first thought as I crashed to the earth was praying a $%^* broadhead didn't skewer me. Good call on a case.

I've carried my bow with quiver on on my handle bar no problem, however I'm not going super fast in pancake flat Texas where I've hunted with it. In your situation up and down a mountain I'd definitely use an arrow case and leave it with the bike while hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back