Caribou Gear

Better Quality Hunt: Wyoming General or Colorado 1st Rifle?

matechakeric

which hunt do you think would offer a better experience. Looking for meat & a good time with my father. I know both will have crowds but which one would be less crowded?

the 1st rifle is before the 2nd OTC season (which I do not want to do). I figure the 1st rifle would offer a lot less hunters and better chance at semi-rutting action

I think it depends on how you’re looking at it. The Wyoming general tag will take at least 3 points I think. That would be better than an over the counter or low point Colorado tag in my opinion. If you’re looking at 3 to 5 points in Colorado then id say it’s probably a close playing field

I'd pick Wyoming general all day but it depends on a lot. There are some units in WY where rifle season starts end of September! But CO 1st rifle can be a very good hunt.

I was doing some basic projections last night. Apply for both WY general with 1 point (myself, father, and wife & at least a puncher's shot at one of us drawing) & applying for cow tags. Then also also applying for CO 1st rifle tags.

If we draw in Wyoming and deem it a better value, the payment due date in CO is in June so we could always bow out of any tags drawn in CO if WY is our play. Or go hunt CO instead.

I'm sure there are flaws in this plan but thankfully I have another 8 months to work out the kinks

I've hunted both states extensively and been successful on both. There's a lot of variables in both. Depending on the unit in CO I'd pick 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. I've killed in all 3 seasons. 1st season can be awesome but make sure you really research the unit. I've had bad experiences in units I thought would be really good and I've "lucked" into some bulls on units that I was only hunting for mule deer but had an OTC tag in my pocket. I feel like one of the biggest indicators to look at is success percentage vs private land. If the private land has a significant amount of elk habitat then you might want to steer clear of the unit. WY has much better options for general tags that will be a better experience. That said, it's all about researching the options for the points you have and then go hunt hard. I've consistently pulled bulls out of a certain unit in CO that is between 5-10% success each year but it took a few years and a lot of hiking and glassing to figure out what the elk were doing. A little luck and we discovered that they weren't where anyone expected them to be. Getting out and hunting hard and glassing effectively will ultimately make or break your success in a hunt.

Wyoming general, and not just because I don't want you in CO. Your primary question, "which one would be less crowded" is certainly WY, assuming you're not going to draw a CO unit that is limited in all seasons.

Wyoming general vs. OTC CO for sure less crowded. Seems to me, if you might want to stay away from crowds in Colorado, you will look at units that are higher in elevation as well, tougher terrain. Lots of great points made above. My 2cents.

Wyoming general vs. OTC CO for sure less crowded. Seems to me, if you might want to stay away from crowds in Colorado, you will look at units that are higher in elevation as well, tougher terrain. Lots of great points made above. My 2cents.
WY gen less crowded than CO 1st rifle (can be drawn with 0-2 points at least in years past)?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back