Bergara vs Howa - Thoughts or experiences?

Hunting Wife

With time on my hands this winter, I dipped my toes into coyote hunting and put up some furs. Yep, now I’m hooked and looking to upgrade to my own coyote rifle. I want to stick with a bolt action .22-250, but looking for a little more precision than the Ruger I’ve been using.

Internet research had me leaning towards a Howa HS Precision. The weight and dimensions on paper look like a good fit, and people seem happy with the performance. However, I haven’t been able to find anyone nearby that carries them so haven’t handled one. I was, however, able to get my hands on a Bergara B14 Hunter today, and it’s nice 😁 It fits me nicely (a rarity for us short-armed people) loved the smooth action, is comfortable to hold and seemed to handle nicely. I don’t see as much written about Bergaras, but what little I do see is positive.

Having no personal experience with either, and not knowing anyone who does, I’m curious to hear anything about your experiences with either of these rifles.

What Ruger are you using? I had a Ruger 77 with bow barrel in 22/250 topped with a leupold and could drive tacks at 500 yards. I do have a Bargara B14 in 30/06 and I love it. Now leave the Howa home. You should be able to go to any gun dealer and order a Howa from Legacy Arms.

Friend bought a Bergara B14 in .270 win that is a tack driver. I own a Howa in 223 rem. that I am presently working up loads for. It has shot factory rounds inside MOA at a 100 yards so far, but I am sure it will get tighter with reloads. I don't think you can go wrong with either rifle.

The Ruger is one Hunting Husband inherited from his dad. Not sure on the model, but has a short barrel and the international stock, has to be re-sighted in every time the temp changes. Given the sentimental value, not one I’m going to tinker with.

If you see this becoming something you will enjoy for several years, as I did, if no other reason, coyote and whistle pigs were always something we wanted, actually needed, as farmers, to eliminate, I would be more concerned about "fit" than anything else. One can order the Wetherby Camilla in 22-250 but you have to wait 9 months. I also like the Sauer Artemis but same problem for the 22-250. If you was able to like the 243, which as you know would give you more than you need for varmints , but the rifle could pull double duty and also be used for deer and antelope, then the aforementioned companies would have rifles available today. But then the cost of ammo to hunt coyotes with also goes up.

If we stay with just the two you mentioned, I like the Bergara. Very interesting rifle. I have never hunted with one, but handled one and my daughter and granddaughter both shot one while in Spain--they both liked it, but not as well as the Camilla.

Third thought. have one built to fit you-- pick your barrel, action, have the stock made to fit you. more time and possibly more money, but not necessarily, and it is YOUR rifle.

Best of luck, both on your rifle and with varmint hunting in the future

I have a bergara hmr 6.5 creedmoor, not a single complaint. seems like bergara has very good. craftsmanship.

Since howa has no for seeable plans in producing a lefty I will be waiting for a bergara

I suppose I should add an update...

I ended up going with the Bergara. Dimensions are nearly identical to my Ruger Ultra Light, which I love. It’s too short for Hunting Husband, which I suppose is a bonus for me!

Took it to the range once to start breaking it in. We followed their recommended break in and aren’t quite finished with that, but after almost two boxes of shells it’s come in really nicely. Tried a few different boxes of factory ammo. It seems to like 50 gr Hornadys the best (the two small lower diamonds, vs other loads at the uppers).

This was just at 100 yds, kind of just messing around with the break-in rounds. Can’t wait for the next range day when we stretch it out a little bit and really sight it in. So far, I’m super excited about this rifle! The only downside is that I now realize my other rifle needs a new trigger 😁.

Looks like you got yourself a winner. The weather is warming up and the whistle pigs should be out in force. By the looks of those bottom two targets they look to also be in some serious trouble.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back