Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Bear rugs and hides

Marshian

I was excited to get my bear that I got this past spring back from the tannery. It was a boar whose skull was a little over 17 inches which I think is not bad for Montana. Next to it is the bear rug I had made from last years sow which was the first bear of my life. I absolutely have fallen in love with spring bear hunting but I’m not sure how many hides I really need. Does anyone have any idea what to do with them? I’d gladly give them to relatives but I’m not sure many relatives would wanna shell out the $1000 for a rug or the $300ish for just a hide.

Attachments

• E40278E7-DD2D-41C4-A276-802681CC8DC0.jpeg
    E40278E7-DD2D-41C4-A276-802681CC8DC0.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 63
  • A2E7EA7B-1368-40AB-A8DF-5BE716CD2E7A.jpeg
    A2E7EA7B-1368-40AB-A8DF-5BE716CD2E7A.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 62
The next few you get you should sew them into a giant bed spread. might need three or four for that. My gal wouldn't go for that but if i had one it probably would be in the guest house just so i could look at it whenever i want. Would probably have to put it away when company stays the night. Nice rugs!

I made a rug out of a nice black bear, mountain lion and wolf. ALL of the ones since get tanned and I hang them off a peg by their nose. I am slowly working my way down the hall! I also have the skulls done and keep them on a shelf.

I've got a similar concern. I took my seventh bear this fall, and my daughter took her first, so we're up to eight bears in the house.

First bear must always be made into a rug - no question. Any other bears I simply get tanned unless they are extraordinary. My 2019 bear was 260 lbs so I had a rug made. My 2020 bear was small but had unique colorings, so another rug.

But I have four pelts sitting unused. Like psycho said, I'm thinking of a large project for the smaller pelts. Possibly a bedspread. Maybe a coat. Who knows.

House isn't big enough to keep putting them onto walls. Dogs make putting bear rugs on the floor unwise.

Where did you get the hide tanned. I would like to do that with my next one.
Try Moyle Mink in Idaho. They have tanned our bison hides and several bobcats and mt lion hide. You'll need to air them out but the tanning is good.

I have been having the same hard choice with what to do with my bears. Of course I mounted my first one, and then a couple rugs, but my taxidermist told me that if I just tan the hide I have about 4 years to decide what I want to do with it yet. Whether that’s a mount or rug and it’s still great quality. So I’ve been doing that and I’m happy I did because this past year I shot a big boy and I decided to do a rug. But and now it’s easier and cheaper for me to decide to keep the previous bears tanned hides.

Bear rugs are some of my favorite taxidermy in the house. Bear hunting is by far our favorite. We built a ladder for tanned hides and hang them over couches. Between her and I we have 20 bears I think, 2 lifesize, 1 half life, 7 rugs. We have a small house so it’s filling up quick, plus we display all our skulls. Greenhorn has a nice hanging setup on another thread also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back