Bear bait and wind??

wisconsinteacher

Season opens Sept. 9 and my best bait is getting hit but I don't know if I should hunt it opening night. The bait is 19 yards from the stand. The bait is down a slight hill in a creek bottom. From the stand the bait is NNW. The wind tomorrow afternoon is SSW 0-3 mph. So, would you hunt the stand? The next best wind is Sunday the 13th. Do you wait that long to hunt a stand?

Tough to say. Where do they come in from? If they smell you coming in, it won't matter where the bait is.

They come from the east and west. So if they come from the east, they will smell me but the west will be okay.

As unpredictable as they can be, I'd hunt a bait I had bears coming in and just play the wind like normal.

You never know how things are going to workout until you try. I usually attempt to mask my smell as I go in. Sometimes it's as basic as using a spray bottle filled with liquid smoke and spray it along the trail as I hike in. Spray it on the soles of your boots and around the area also. I have used other aromatic stuff like Vanilla extract, used cooking oil, and bacon grease as well. That helps more than you know. I have had bears come right up to me. Although smell is a concern, I have had more issue with sound than smell.

I hope it works for you, good luck!

The access to the stand is from a field. They will have no clue we are walking into the stand for the evening hunt. We will get in the ladder stand and be set up in 5 minutes.

Season opens Sept. 9 and my best bait is getting hit but I don't know if I should hunt it opening night. The bait is 19 yards from the stand. The bait is down a slight hill in a creek bottom. From the stand the bait is NNW. The wind tomorrow afternoon is SSW 0-3 mph. So, would you hunt the stand? The next best wind is Sunday the 13th. Do you wait that long to hunt a stand?
I've gone to 100% ground blinds now. That way I can play the wind no matter what.

Chad

Buy a bottle of vanilla extract. Rub it on you and your clothes. Then prepare yourself for self defense. Bears don't always walk straight into the bait sites. Some times they will circle it to smell what's on the menu.

Don’t kind yourself, the bear know you’re there. You’re baiting for Pete sakes, getting your scent around the area. Freshen up the bait when you get there and hunt.

Back