Barnes currently producing?

Mako

Just wondering if Barnes has temporarily halted production while in the process of being taken over by Sierra? At my two local go to FFL's, they get regular shipments in of ammo every one to two weeks. They get Hornady every time, but haven't gotten any Barnes in a while.

Been wondering about that too. Doesn’t seem like any of the online retailers that I pay attention to for components have gotten any new stock from them in months..... I have notifications set up on the bullets I shoot and jumped on some 85gr TSX about a month ago. Nothing else has been updated though.

Depending on the structure of the sale, they may have to reapply for the FFL for Barnes under new ownership. If so, that will take 90 days+. If they don't have to reapply for their ammunition manufacturers FFL, then I would expect a shorter lapse in production while they sort out the business side of production.

Depending on the structure of the sale, they may have to reapply for the FFL for Barnes under new ownership. If so, that will take 90 days+...

I hope that’s not the case. I have two rifles that I have sighted in with Barnes and just bought a third. I have enough ammo to last a few seasons at least as long as I don’t burn it up practicing. An expensive proposition, I know, but I prefer, like many others I’m sure, to practice with my favorite flavor of hunting Ammo. Guess I won’t be using any of it for practice until I know for sure what’s going on.

I actually called and left Barnes a message. Shockingly they called me back, but I missed the call of course. I called and left a message again and hopefully will hear back tomorrow. I will post if I learn anything.

Last edited:
I much prefer barnes bullets too. I have a 7-08 and a 7 mag I planned on working loads up for this winter. Sure would be nice to find some 120 TSX for the 7-08 to try and load up.

If it’s anything like what I heard they did at Remington ammo it may be a bit. From what i was told they basically just flipped off the main breaker leaving the new owners to figure out what was safe to turn back on, what might have been in the middle of running, etc

Hammer is making bullets right now. mtmuley

I hope so. I’ve been checking the Custom Cartridge website since you first posted about it, but I don’t see any ammo with Hammer projectiles available yet. Do you have word on an ETA for when they will be available?

I hope so. I’ve been checking the Custom Cartridge website since you first posted about it, but I don’t see any ammo with Hammer projectiles available yet. Do you have word on an ETA for when they will be available?
I guess I assumed you handloaded. I haven't talked to Steve about the loaded ammo. Set aside some time and dial 406 261 0010. mtmuley

Hammer is making bullets right now. mtmuley
In all honesty what is the performance difference you’ve seen between the hammers and barnes? Reason I ask is you bring up hammers in many threads. Is there that much difference in performance between the two to justify the price difference?

-Higher velocity (easily +100fps over Barnes)
-Best-of-both-worlds style terminal performance (initial shock/fragmentation of 30% of its weight while 70% drills straight like a Barnes); you can sort of think of it like a solid copper version of a Nosler Partition
-More reliable expansion below 2000fps
-Excellent accuracy

I still have a couple rifles shooting Barnes, but as I run out of projectiles I'm switching the rest of my hunting rifles to Hammers.

In all honesty what is the performance difference you’ve seen between the hammers and barnes? Reason I ask is you bring up hammers in many threads. Is there that much difference in performance between the two to justify the price difference?
See what winmag said. I've used Barnes in one rifle a long time ago. If my good friend didn't own Hammer, I'd still be shooting lead. mtmuley

I use both Barnes and Hammers. I haven’t noticed much accuracy difference or terminal performance. Both killed critters just as dead. I will say Hammer’s customer service is as good as it gets. When I had a issue this fall Steve was quick to get it resolved above my expectations. I have no intention of switching bullets in that rifle.

In prep for the bankruptcy, I bought several boxes of the one I shoot. I hope that Barnes continues to produce the same quality.

I much prefer barnes bullets too. I have a 7-08 and a 7 mag I planned on working loads up for this winter. Sure would be nice to find some 120 TSX for the 7-08 to try and load up.
I just bought 2 boxes of 120gr TTSX from Midway. Pretty sure they have more in stock if you're quick about it.

I bought some 225 TTSX for my .340 Wby about 2 hours ago. I just got an email that my order has shipped, and track # was provided. Really quick for Midway. Free shipping if you spend $49

I bought some 225 TTSX for my .340 Wby about 2 hours ago. I just got an email that my order has shipped, and track # was provided. Really quick for Midway. Free shipping if you spend $49
They are on their game today. Order confirmation email - 9:20am, Order Shipped email - 9:28am.

. I hope that Barnes continues to produce the same quality.

That was what I was thinking exactly what I’ve heard they got bought by Sierra. I don’t have any experience with Sierra. Their stuff and he good?

That was what I was thinking exactly what I’ve heard they got bought by Sierra. I don’t have any experience with Sierra. Their stuff and he good?

I have killed a number of deer and an antelope with Sierra GameKings without incident. Cooked up some loads well under 1 MOA with them for two rifles. Went to the range today and tried out some of their 90gr. hollow points and all printed within 1 MOA as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I run 165 gr game kings in my 300 SAUM. Smokes deer with authority.

I also run them in one of my 708's in the 140 gr variety. Though I have only taken coyotes with that so far. Just like lightening strikes.

Back