Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Bankrupt Gun Maker Remington Outdoor to be Broken Up and Sold

I'd red this news elsewhere. It gives me a sad. I have long been a Remington fan and own 3 700s and an old 600. In my experience they've been the most accurate and trouble-free factory guns I've used over the years, although I realize that has not been everyone's experience with them.

After seeing this yesterday, I went ahead and ordered a stainless 700 long-action receiver. I have a box of other components I've been gathering to build another bolt gun. I figured I should go ahead and grab one before they become scarce, or something.

I have been shooting a 700 30-06 for years. No regrets. If the one I have been shooting now for over 20 years goes down, I will buy another one in a heart beat.

Sad to see. I have an 870 Wingmaster Magnum that I bought in the early '70s with a summer's worth of bale pitching. I have a 700 in .300 Win Mag built around 1963 ... a gift from my father's best hunting buddy who can't use it anymore. Tough time to be in a firearm manufacture business.

Some interesting information here. Could be a lot worse

I'll take it off your hands....need an address?

Fixing that issue is about as complicated as hitting a warm piece of toast with a knife full of butter.
It was already fixed by Remington. Shoots fine, just never earned my trust again after that debacle. They were a great manufacturer that went downhill after getting bought out by a bunch of accountants and pencil pushers.

The quality had suffered the last years but they made millions of great guns. I have an 870 that I bought in 1977 that still looks and handles great. A newer 870 Express I scoped and use as a dedicated deer gun for shotgun areas not nearly as nicely finished as the older one but functions fine. Also a 1977 700 in 270 and a 1998 7600 in 30-06. Both good shooters. Sad to see it broken up.

I have mixed feelings about Rem lately. My 700s seem to be accurate enough though I tend to ask a lot of a rifle and will mess with it until it does regardless of brand. Their 870s were garbage for the last 20 years but the older ones were great. I have a Rem made Marlin 1895 and it is a bit rough but still fun to shoot. I'm excited to see Ruger got Marlin and hope to see a big bump in both quality and options in those.

They built a heck of reputation on quality stuff years ago. I would guess that like most companies, greed at the top end caused quality to suffer. They continued to try to profit off of the reputation they had built, and word got out that their current stuff isn't what it used to be.... Sound Familiar??? Seen this happen with several big-name manufacturers over the years, and not just the gun industry. Plus there is plenty of competition blowing their doors off now.

My 600 is chambered in .308. I will inherit its twin someday. I really want one in .243, and I may just end up dropping way too much on the right one......

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back