bandhund dog anyone use them?

Kyboy88

From what I understand it a way of hunting with one dog on a leash. Mostly used for Moose in the Nordic countries and some in Canada just curious if anyone has used them and if they had been used for anything besides Moose

Last edited:
Ahh yes I found this site via a search for Moses hunting as well, I understand the confusion.

I did my due diligence and googled several key words from your question, didn’t come up with much. Perhaps you could elaborate?

I hadn’t heard of bandhund, but I saw a show once where they used loshund for hunting moose, where the dog is loose and bays the animal while the hunter follows until they can make a shot. I think it was in Sweden. It was really interesting. IIRC, they hunt red deer and moose mainly by both those methods, but I could be wrong. Never seen it done but would be very cool to see in real life.

I hadn’t heard of bandhund, but I saw a show once where they used loshund for hunting moose, where the dog is loose and bays the animal while the hunter follows until they can make a shot. I think it was in Sweden. It was really interesting. IIRC, they hunt red deer and moose mainly by both those methods, but I could be wrong. Never seen it done but would be very cool to see in real life.

A buddy of mine runs Laikas in a similar way. His first one was a good tree dog and then she started baying pigs on her own at 2 years old which he promoted. He has since picked up another one that comes from big game lines in Sweden or some other European country. He runs a wider range in his hunt. It’s also a young dog but he’s bayed pigs on most of their hunts.

Old thread, but yeah. Our swedish hunting traditions revolves a lot around dogs. I'd also say it's because of how what our landscapes look like most of the time. I shit you not, if we didn't have dogs to hunt moose in my region, in these thick woods, we wouldn't harvest even 1% of what we do now (and we need to harvest certain amounts because of our forest industry....Long story).

But to mention the main hunting styles of our dogs:
  • "Driving dogs": they chase prey full speed until lost or a hunter in a good position gets a shot off. Amongst other things we hunt fox, hare (my favourite) and roe deer this way (although regulated for eg roe deer, only specific dog breeds that don't run too fast are allowed to be used for roe deer). Hamilton hound is an example.
  • "Standing dogs": for hunting birds on the ground, grouse etc. The dog sniffs out the bird, then freezes to mark it. Once the dog handler is in position it signals to the dog to push the bird to flee. We carry shotguns for this. The dog retrieves. English springer spaniel would be an example.
  • "Barking dogs": Also for birds, they find the bird (mostly capercaillie) who then flees to a tree nearby. The dogs follows and positions itself under the tree, barks, keeps the bird distracted so that the hunter can crawl up to it and get a shot off. We use a rifle or a combi for this. Finish spitz would be an example.
  • "Stopping dogs": This translation from swedish the worst, but whatever. This is for bigger game. The dog sniffs out the game, most commonly moose, and keeps it busy and distracted, and if it's a good dog and conditions, it keeps the moose stationary - letting the dog handler sneak or crouch his/her way into position. A really good dog is neither too pushy nor too weak. Laika would be an example.
  • We also use specifically trained dogs, in leashes, for stalking wounded animals - from car collisions or from poor marksmanship. This is institutionalized.
While I do understand the position of some other hunting cultures when it comes to dogs for hunting, I feel it's a sometimes very misunderstood phenomenon. Hunting with dogs is great, not at all easy, and sometimes the only way to do it.

Back