Bad action threads

MITCHMO

I’ve been trying my hand at reloading and right about that time I started really struggling to hold zero. After LOTS of shooting, I went back to factory ammo and still couldn’t hold zero. I checked the scope and it was tight, so I took it off and the front base screws were a little loose. One of the base screws is mostly stripped. Any thoughts on a fix or if 3 should hold? 7mm rem mag, browning hells canyon long range. Talley rings. 30mm tube Burris scope. Thanks!

As BC says, go the next size up.
I'd do it to all 4 screw holes.
And you may need to open up the holes in the base.

I would agree as if you go with three you will always wonder, plus it will only fail once you are a few miles back in

Talley screws are aluminum and they strip out easily. It’s probably not the action hole that’s stripped. More likely the junk screw. Also the front screw might have been bottomed out on the barrel threads.
You can have a gunsmith take a look at it but Id recommend using some better screws also.
You can also bed the bases to the action.

Talley screws are aluminum and they strip out easily. It’s probably not the action hole that’s stripped. More likely the junk screw. Also the front screw might have been bottomed out on the barrel threads.
You can have a gunsmith take a look at it but Id recommend using some better screws also.
You can also bed the bases to the action.
I think you are spot on with this.

Back