Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

BackPack Question

Yep. Packed out a bear, a mountain goat and 2 elk with it so far. Had it for 2 seasons now. The only alps I would look at would be the Traverse EPS and the basic frame one that I think 1pointer posted. The elastic that attaches the blaze orange rain fly to the pack in the bottom inside pocket broke, but for $100 tyd who cares.

Don't spend $330 on an Alps though, if your budget is around $300 wait for a good KUIU, Tenzing, Mystery Ranch or EXO to pop up on the used classifieds.

Attachments

• 10505340_10153330462023102_1793074886390434057_n.jpg
    10505340_10153330462023102_1793074886390434057_n.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 395
Bought my sons Alps packframe on sale at Scheel's in Reno for $99 last month. Couldn't pass up such a good deal.

I had one for one season. I like it at first, but after packing out an elk one time I sold it this spring. My back hurt for 2 weeks. If your set on it, amazon has these for a steal. But I recommend you go a different route. This is the one I had:
http://www.amazon.com/ALPS-OutdoorZ...qid=1438966553&sr=8-1&keywords=alps+commander

And you are sure it was the pack's fault you had a sore back?
Was it not enough padding on the straps? Or maybe not enough padding on the waist strap or something rubbing you raw? Or just the fact elk are heavy?

I have short, stocky frame and the torso adjustments on it were limited. Elk are heavy. That's what I was trying to say. It performed well in the 45-55 lb range. But sucked with 100lbs of meat. MY MR handles the heavy loads alot better.

My hunting buddy and I both use the Alps Commander. Not the greatest pack, but it might be the best for the money. It does the job for us.

I cinch up the waist strap really tight so the weight is on my pelvis and not my shoulders. That has worked really well.

Also, get the weight so that it's close to your shoulders. You don't want the pack pulling hard on the shoulder straps.

What I use,but with the bag attached. Great pack for the dough.

A couple of hints: Swap the rings for cotter pins and use electrical tape to quiet down squeeky areas.

Back