Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Aussie Sambar Snow Hunt

S13tsilvia

going through some photobucket pics i came across this series of hunt pics and once again sticks in my mind like glue.

Driving up the bush in the morning we had about 6-8 inches of fresh snow which is very rare for us in this location and i thought great... a day clomping around in the snow. not really ideal but hey beats staying at home.
IMAG0932_zps75ad1e50.jpg
[/URL]

So everyone was out of the trucks in the bush looking for fresh marks or driving the roads looking for sign of deer crossing out.
I was getting damp looking for marks in the snow :)

One of the boys found some fresh marks and i got sent to cover an old logging coupe up in the high still in the snow
IMAG0942_zpsf3911475.jpg
[/URL]
IMAG0941_zpsdc17ded4.jpg
[/URL]

The dogs took off on the marks and chased the deer around and dropped out of the high elevation down out of the snow and we were all off after the deer.
I got around into a crossing spot on an old firebreak and the dogs swung around towards me and came up high on the ridge and then the deer appeared about 60 yards away.
Throwing the 338 up i let rip and down this spiker went, he was a very large body animal for only a young deer, well into 350+pound range, i quickly gutted it and dragged it down to the road
IMAG0936_zpsde427280.jpg
[/URL]
IMAG0937_zps842065c2.jpg
[/URL]
No time for trophy photos, the dog lead was used to recover the deer down the hill to the road where it was loaded into the 4wd and off we went again chasing the other pack of dogs which split onto another deer
So you quickly forget about getting wet and cold when the shooting starts and you get to kill a deer :)

Back