Caribou Gear

Attn: Waterfowl fanatics!

Doublecluck

If y’all did ND I could bring a trailer of decoys/blinds and I know of a BYB type lodge that sleeps 13. Not sure what he charges in the fall but for spring the whole lodge is like 300 a night.

Decide to do MT and it’s pretty easy to find fields with thousands in Dec/Jan. ND definitely has more public and easier access.

Last edited:

jrabq

Yesterday at the "pintail spot" I had 1 nice drake and 2 green wing teal fairly early, so i decided to quit shooting teal and hold out for mallards, which were rather sparse. Then had 3 cinnamon drakes fly right over the decoys and felt the urge to shoot one before glass-eye killed them all 😁. 20220122_104710.jpg

Stretcher_Jockey

Yesterday at the "pintail spot" I had 1 nice drake and 2 green wing teal fairly early, so i decided to quit shooting teal and hold out for mallards, which were rather sparse. Then had 3 cinnamon drakes fly right over the decoys and felt the urge to shoot one before glass-eye killed them all 😁. View attachment 209825
Man I’m so jealous of you guys that get opportunities at Cinnamons.

WestKyHunt

Yesterday at the "pintail spot" I had 1 nice drake and 2 green wing teal fairly early, so i decided to quit shooting teal and hold out for mallards, which were rather sparse. Then had 3 cinnamon drakes fly right over the decoys and felt the urge to shoot one before glass-eye killed them all 😁. View attachment 209825
So where exactly in NM are you? Lol JCSxrZUh.jpg

Stretcher_Jockey

Heading up your way tonight to shoot Reelfoot Tues-Thurs. How’s the duck hunting been?
I don’t hunt reelfoot but once or twice a year but I know some friends of mine had a pretty good week this past week. We had a phenomenal 7-10 days right after New Year but other than that it’s been really random everywhere I’ve hunted. By the time our ducks get here they are super educated generally.

bowhuntmontana

There's got to be a way to do an HT waterfowl road trip. Possibly a neutral state DIY public land. Depending on the number of attendees as to whether there's a need to break into smaller hunting groups or not.
I'd be interested. We have a lot of access to various public marshes here in the Salt Lake area. I am familiar with just a few. It is definitely a spot where people could break into small groups, hunt several different locations, and move around over the course of a few days. Huge variety of birds too.

AlaskaHunter

Things are mostly iced up around here, so I took the bike, kayak, trailer, and other filthy items to the car wash and sprayed off a few pounds of mud. Might try to jump shoot a few small creeks that stay open during the remaining weeks of the season. Smoking up some duck jerky right now. Already scheming for next season.
I used to live in Logan and have fond memories of late season hunts after the marshes froze solid.

AlaskaHunter

Nice! Now you need a couple of Ruddy Ducks to match glass-eye's photo.

AlaskaHunter

I'd be interested. We have a lot of access to various public marshes here in the Salt Lake area. I am familiar with just a few. It is definitely a spot where people could break into small groups, hunt several different locations, and move around over the course of a few days. Huge variety of birds too.
I'd be interested, leaving my shotgun behind and handling my lab.

jrabq

Nice! Now you need a couple of Ruddy Ducks to match glass-eye's photo.
Everybody has some line they won't cross; I won't shoot ducks that can't fly more than a foot off the water :) (I'm not judging anyone!). I might make an exception if I ever saw a red one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluetix