Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Anyone Buy Univerisity of Elk Hunting (by Corey Jacobsen)?

matechakeric

Most of his experience seems geared towards the rut and archery season as do most of the modules. Is it pretty applicable for general rifle season hunts? I was considering buying it & wanted some thoughts.

I have it. it's definitely geared to archery rut. But Randy does a module on later rifle hunting. I think it's worth it though, he has the audio for each model I listen to at work. It has a lot of valuable information in my opinion but if you listen to Elk Talk podcast there is promo code for $20 off. I also listen to the podcast Corey and Randy do and it's entertaining and educational hope this helps

I have it. it's definitely geared to archery rut. But Randy does a module on later rifle hunting. I think it's worth it though, he has the audio for each model I listen to at work. It has a lot of valuable information in my opinion but if you listen to Elk Talk podcast there is promo code for $20 off. I also listen to the podcast Corey and Randy do and it's entertaining and educational hope this helps
that's great info. Thank you good Sir

that was a valuable read. thank you

It was valuable to me. Bought it a few years back as I was getting into elk hunting. At that time I didn't know a soul that elk hunted, so it seemed like a good addition to my research.

I pulled the trigger and bought it. I'm happy I did. I don't need the archery stuff but I've already learned quite a bit

It's a good resource to go through. I bought it when I first started archery elk hunting. I found that there was nothing mind blowing in the content, and to be honest, about half of it was fluff. Overall, I'm glad I got it but all of that information can be found for free throughout the inter webs... and in the elk woods itself. The biggest thing is you are investing in yourself and putting money into something you care about. That attitude translates to the effort you will put into your preparation and into the hunt itself. So, good on you!

I did it as well. I learned a few things. It was worth it. Corey is a good dude, didn’t feel bad giving him my money

Back when I started there was no on line classes so I went to the school of "Hard Knocks". That being said I am sure there are many beneficial things I could pick up from it and the new course Randy has put together. I doubt that I will ever subscribe to it. I have subscribed to goHunt and found it very helpful with draws, but am considering doing away with that after this year. Hunting can be very expensive.
I purchase points and tags for different species every year and the prices keep going up..along with everything else. Just my opinion but I am at the point in life where I spend less on hunting gear and more on tags and trips hunting.

Back when I started there was no on line classes so I went to the school of "Hard Knocks". That being said I am sure there are many beneficial things I could pick up from it and the new course Randy has put together. I doubt that I will ever subscribe to it. I have subscribed to goHunt and found it very helpful with draws, but am considering doing away with that after this year. Hunting can be very expensive.
I purchase points and tags for different species every year and the prices keep going up..along with everything else. Just my opinion but I am at the point in life where I spend less on hunting gear and more on tags and trips hunting.
Yep school of hard knocks for sure. The very first time we went Elk hunting all 5 of us had zero experience with elk. YouTube was still cute kitty videos and no GoHunt or anything of the sort. We ordered full reg books and mailed in our applications. Things have changed a lot for sure. Now most anyone has info one click away when it used to take us hours and hours of reading through hunt descriptions.

I paid for Elk101 years ago when it was very new so things may be quite different now. The general info about elk behavior and tendencies is pretty freely available on the internet. IMO, the aggressive calling styles from Corey, Phelps, and the born and raised guys has led to a pile of people consuming that info and following suit. It seems like that has made it less effective or counter productive but it obviously still works for some people/elk. A lot of that may just be my mediocre calling abilities. From a strictly calling standpoint, i've found elknut and Chris Roe's content to be a better fit for me.

I bought it. Useful info. I don't get much time each Sept for archery, so any knowledge I can gain outside of experience has a lot of value for me.

I paid for Elk101 years ago when it was very new so things may be quite different now. The general info about elk behavior and tendencies is pretty freely available on the internet. IMO, the aggressive calling styles from Corey, Phelps, and the born and raised guys has led to a pile of people consuming that info and following suit. It seems like that has made it less effective or counter productive but it obviously still works for some people/elk. A lot of that may just be my mediocre calling abilities. From a strictly calling standpoint, i've found elknut and Chris Roe's content to be a better fit for me.
Yep and while there is nothing quite like getting a bull worked up by calling I have found myself glassing them up and stalking to be more successful the past several years. I always have a call with me but seldom use it anymore. Cory, Jason, and and the BRO crew love the interaction more than anything. I believe if elk stopped reacting to their calls they would hang it up. I only get a week or two every year to physically hunt elk, so I take the experience for what it is. If calling is working I do it, if still hunting gets me more encounters, or cutting tracks in the snow then that is what I do.

Back