Caribou Gear Tarp

Antlerless Elk only in final week

Straight Arrow

After weeks of finding absolutely no sign of elk where they pass through most years, less than a mile into my Nov 25th Monday morning hunt, there they were ... two bulls less than one hundred yards above the trail, broadside, with one just staring at me taunting me to shoot. I chambered a round, popped off scope caps, prepared to shoot as the second one raised his head. Setting my rifle down, I focused my binos, attempting to erase antlers as the final week of the general is "antlerless elk only" but to no avail as they both sported elk racks, not as impressive as Pam Anderson, but one good enough. As this was the third year this has happened, the question was posed to Montana FWP, "Why no bull elk the last week of the season?"

This morning after another short hunt on some State land (Thank-you, Tony Schoonen.), a phone call came in from a Montana FWP employee who wanted to answer my question and discuss elk management a bit. He explained that the "antlerless elk only" provision had been somewhat successful in bringing down elk numbers in that hunting district for awhile. Various other issues regarding elk numbers, distribution, hunter access, landowner perspectives, and other informative topics were discussed. One key piece of info he imparted was the intent for FWP to soon begin revision of the Elk Management Plan (EMP) and to reconsider objectives, as well as other aspects. Review of the agenda for the upcoming FWP Commission meeting shows that some relevant topics are already up for discussion.

I for one strongly support revamping the Montana EMP and hope the objective numbers and related management strategies are changed for the better.

If you were hunting the unit I think you were, post season bull to cow ratios of 2/100 branch antlered bulls and the fact that much of the bull harvest occurred in the last two weeks as snow forced them into no more accessible areas, is the reason for that rule. It should have been done years ago.

Per our PM I was thinking about a different unit than you were hunting. My comment is not relevant to your question.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back