Yeti GOBOX Collection

Antler in a tree

antlerradar

I first found this antler in the tree back in 84 or 85. Back then it was in fairly good shape and you could remove it form the tree. It has been more than a few years since I was last to the tree. Today I was in the area and decided to take a picture if the antler was still there. The antler is starting to show some age and a few squirrels have had a bit or two but still in surprisingly good shape. Not going to come out of the tree with out some serious ax work though.

Attachments

• 100_0557.jpg
    100_0557.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 928
Last edited:
Do you think it was put there or shed there?

I was glassing for bears the other evening and noticed an antler that I hung in a tree back in 99.

Now that is some history. Way cool I wasn't even thought of till 86 something love your perspective on how long antlers actually lay. Thanks for the post.

I think some one put it there but it could have been shed there.
My thoughts as well. During a backpacking hike into a primitive campsite in Yellowstone Park, my wife and I discovered a plateau area covered with many, many elk antler sheds all over the area. It was evident that other hikers had moved some, as they were seen on top of large rocks, in trees, on trail signs, and positioned in other places improbable for elk to reach. But others were scattered and arrayed in very cool natural fashion by real wapiti.

If I'm not mistaken I think it's a custom of some native peoples to always leave the antlers in the trees, as a gift to their gods. It's good medicine.

I'll try to find where I read it...

If I'm not mistaken I think it's a custom of some native peoples to always leave the antlers in the trees, as a gift to their gods. It's good medicine.

I'll try to find where I read it...
Sheephunter indians did that with some ram skulls.

That is cool, it reminds me...
In 1979 I was hunting with my uncle. He found a big non-typical mulie antler with about a dozen points on it. I was carrying the antler when a little doe came running up the hill right to me. I placed the antler on a juniper bush and shot my first deer. In the aftermath we left the antler sitting on top of the bush. About 15 years later I recognized the spot and searched the area. I found the antler about waist high in a 12' juniper tree. It was totally encased. About 6 years ago I took my son to the tree and showed him the antler. Some day I need to go back and take a photo.

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back