Another Barrel Fluting Question, help a bowhunter out.

Trial153

I was told it was bad idea to flute a factory barrel?

I am building a rifle for my dad to take on another moose hunt we are going for. Right now I have Tikka 308 compact with the 20inch barrel, I restocked it in a wildcat composites stock, it is bedded beautifully. It has sport match rings and VX5 Leupold on it.
Shoots most any 165 grain load pretty damn good, well better then I can shoot it.

Anyway here is list of things o was going to do to it:
Muzzle Break
Flute the bolt and replace the knob
Cerakote the barrel and action
Flute the barrel

Is there any consensus as to if fluting a factory barrel is bad idea?

I was told it was bad idea to flute a factory barrel?

I am building a rifle for my dad to take on another moose hunt we are going for. Right now I have Tikka 308 compact with the 20inch barrel, I restocked it in a wildcat composites stock, it is bedded beautifully. It has sport match rings and VX5 Leupold on it.
Shoots most any 165 grain load pretty damn good, well better then I can shoot it.

Anyway here is list of things o was going to do to it:
Muzzle Break
Flute the bolt and replace the knob
Cerakote the barrel and action
Flute the barrel

Is there any consensus as to if fluting a factory barrel is bad idea?
The muzzle brake is the only thing I would do with it if he likes them. Everything else is cosmetic and the money is best spent on other aspects of the hunt.

As far as fluting being a bad idea goes, it depends on the thickness of the barrel. Kampfield is a better place than any of us to ask that question to. Being that it is only a 20” barrel to begin with I would bet they say it’s not a good idea. If for whatever reason they say yes, I would have the barrel cryogenic dipped afterwards. It will reset any tension that may get created during the fluting process.

The muzzle brake is the only thing I would do with it if he likes them. Everything else is cosmetic and the money is best spent on other aspects of the hunt.

As far as fluting being a bad idea goes, it depends on the thickness of the barrel. Kampfield is a better place than any of us to ask that question to. Being that it is only a 20” barrel to begin with I would bet they say it’s not a good idea. If for whatever reason they say yes, I would have the barrel cryogenic dipped afterwards. It will reset any tension that may get created during the fluting process.
Thanks, I will consider it.

If I am sending it in for a brake, I might as well do all the other stuff too. Money isnt really consideration as I am mostly doing this for something to do. I could have just bought a rifle with everything on it, but I thought this would be fun have it done.

I'v got two Mossberg Patriots with fluted barrels and bolt's. I don't care for the way they look! I think someone told me that the fluting helped cool the barrels faster. Not a lot of help to me. I have never really needed a barrel that cooled faster! I've always been pretty much hunter. Work up and sight in rifles in the spring while it's cool out and seldom shoot more than three shot's at a time. Hunting seldom shoot even two shot's! Just don't care for the looks of fluted barrels. Have the Mossberg's just because I want'ed to try them out. $300 each, not to bad a price! Sometime's I think about getting them re-barreled just to get rid of the flute's.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back