An unfortunate result, a first for me.

devon deer

I was after a large red stag but a small Roe Buck presented itself at 80 yards, I was using my 30-06 and 180 grain Nosler Partition.
To the rear of the deer was another roe deer, it was at an angle of 45° and around 10' to the rear of the buck, but no body of the deer was in line with the buck, I guess you can already guess what happened!
The buck dropped on the spot, the other deer ran off and looked back after stopping at around 70 yards, a typical reaction by a roe deer, they often do that if they are not suspicious prior to the shot.
I looked at the deer and after around 30 seconds it started to wobble, then fell over, dead.
After I gralloched it I found this small shard of lead, it had pierced the heart, a complete fluke, but just goes to show freaky things can happen and surprise us all.
IMG_20191024_105238301.jpg

Last edited:
2 for the price of 1! Luckily you don't have tags for your deer so all is well in the end.
Yes, I was gutted to be honest, but the farmer was really happy, especially when I dropped off some venison, as you say, good job we don't have the TAG system as I would have been up the creek!

A similar situation happened to a friend of mine while we were hunting hogs. He shot a boar at 150 yds and the boar dropped right there. When we went to recover it I happened to notice that there was a smaller hog laying about 15 yards away slightly hidden behind a tree. The round blew right thru the first hog and apparently a sliver of bullet exited and hit this smaller hog right in the eye and into the brain killing it instantly. We scratched our heads for a few minutes but accepted it as a fluke incident.

Wow... you see some crazy stuff if you hunt enough.

Kinda supports why I moved over to copper ammo, there have been some interesting studies done in the US about lead dispersal in animals and the results are pretty eye opening. Essentially lots of animals shot in the boilermaker with lead particulates all over their hindquarters, and not necessarily shot with just the cheap stuff.

I saw the two for one with an archery shot once

I witnessed a Perfect 90 degree broadside 330 yard lung shot on a mature 6pt bull where the bullet or a section of the bullet hit and killed a cow that was 27 yards left but only 10 yards behind the bull. How the hell it happened I don’t know. Luckily for the hunter the game warden was watching from the road about 1/2 mile away from directly behind the hunter and the cow was salvaged and donated. Ever since then I buy a cow tag for the primary area We hunt, not because I want to shoot a cow , but just in case something crazy like that happens. Just goes to show what’s considered a traditionally safe shot may not always be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back