Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Ammo/cartridge/bullet video ideas

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Next week I will be at Nosler with a camera guy for two days, We will be filming with their engineers to explain a lot of things about bullets, cartridges, ballistics, etc.

They asked me to inquire of the Hunt Talk audience if there are topics you would be interested in seeing in a video. We'd try to add a few videos of topics from here if you have suggestions.

Any topics you would want these engineers to discuss in detail?

I've always been curious about the way in which ammo makers work up loads to be both safe and accurate in a large percentage of rifles (and while keeping velocities up on the high end of the spectrum). My experience handloading tells me that would be a tall order. Maybe too deep a dive for these videos, though?

An explanation of different types of bullets. I.E. What makes a match bullet from a VLD, from a cup and core, bobtail, and different tips of bullets, etc. Good for new hunters to understand what may be a good bullet choice for them.

I had the polymer tip of a 180 gr accubond break off entirely and one break about half off in the magazine of a 300 RUM after firing a round at a deer this past season. Apparently after looking into it, it is not an isolated incident but was a first for me. I would like to see how each of those conditions would affect bullet flight and expansion at 300 yds. Should a follow-up shot have been needed.

I had the polymer tip of a 180 gr accubond break off entirely and one break about half off in the magazine of a 300 RUM after firing a round at a deer this past season. Apparently after looking into it, it is not an isolated incident but was a first for me. I would like to see how each of those conditions would affect bullet flight and expansion at 300 yds. Should a follow-up shot have been needed.
#1 on this, I'm curious how critical the polymer tip is .

Would you consider asking about market trends with respect to traditional lead core bullets and Monos? The industry is starting to trend towards more mono offerings due in part to regulations and individuals concerns about meat contamination.

However many rifle manufactures select a twist rate around a traditional bullet and weights that are poplar for factory ammo. It has been fairly well documented that for most cartridges, if you want to use an equal weight bullet in lead and a mono, one will need a faster twist rate to stabilize the mono.

Could they speak to their recommendations on a percentage of bullet weight reduction when going from a traditional bullet to a mono.

One example may be the 300WM with a typical 1:12-1:10 twist rate for a 180 class bullet. If one were to use a mono such as E-Tip the recommendation may be 1:8-1:9 and to use 160gr class mono. The reasons may include stabilization and that the bullet terminal performance is enhanced at higher impact velocities for a given distance when compared to the traditional bullet.

Thank you for your consideration.

Some good topics so far. Keep them coming.

Since this video session is with engineers, they aren't the ones to talk about market cycles, demand, production capacity, and the multitude of issues that influence product/component availability.

Bullet weight, muzzle velocity and barrel twist and the impacts those variables can have on the performance of the bullet from a lethality, accuracy and bullet stabilization perspective. I’ve seen twice in my lifetime where a nicely placed bullet didn’t perform as expected and I think it had to do with this topic.

I've been reading Nathan Fosters long range hunting books. Some of his core opinions are shedding SD inside the animal to increase wounding and doing that with frangible bullets at longer distance/lower velocity. Be great to see some footage/info/animations on frangible bullets at distance.

I shoot copper and have always gotten conflicting information on velocities necessary for full expansion. It would be cool to hear them talk about that and how they developed a bullet that expands reliably down to a certain velocity. Also would be neat to hear their perspective on lighter for caliber bullets when shooting all copper. It has been talked about before, but I get lots of opinions and not much hard data. Looking forward to hearing what they have to say.

We are in the middle of edits on these seven videos. It's good to see we answered quite a few of the questions with these videos.

Mike Lake, the senior engineer, product developer, and ballistics guru is an impressive guy to talk to. He is very good at focusing on what is important and not what we necessarily read online from some of the armchair experts.

We do an entire video on copper/non-lead bullets, velocities for them, and why they are designed the way they are to get the performance desired on large animals.

We are in the middle of edits on these seven videos. It's good to see we answered quite a few of the questions with these videos.

Mike Lake, the senior engineer, product developer, and ballistics guru is an impressive guy to talk to. He is very good at focusing on what is important and not what we necessarily read online from some of the armchair experts.

We do an entire video on copper/non-lead bullets, velocities for them, and why they are designed the way they are to get the performance desired on large animals.
Did they address the availability issues? mtmuley

Back