Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Am I thinking correctly?

JDH

This year I bought my first elk preference point for Wyoming. My plan is to get a couple of points and snag a general tag. It will be a couple of years before I go so I am just starting the process of researching. I did notice that the odds of drawing with one point have steadily decreased so hopefully by 2018 I can get one with two points. This past weekend while at a family gathering I mentioned to my wife's uncle that I had bought a point and I discussed that I was seriously considering doing a drop camp. He called me last night and asked if I thought he was capable of doing this hunt. My gut reaction was "Heck no" but my optimistic side thinks maybe there is an area or two that we could fight the crowds to get him an elk. Unfortunately, with the PP deadline coming up I don't have much time to research so I thought I would ask on here if anyone thinks its possible. He has smoked for probably 20-25 years but overall is in pretty good shape. He stays active and doesn't have any knee or back problems. He has been on a pronghorn trip with me in SE WY and had zero trouble keeping up. He is one of about two people that I am willing to hunt with here at home.

We are more than likely going out there next year for another pronghorn hunt so one possibility that I am considering is telling him to buy a point at his own risk and while we are out there next year taking a few days and checking out a couple of potential elk units just to show him what he is up against. Does that sound like a good option? Am I crazy for thinking he could do this or are there a few units where he could have success? Also could the drop camp route potentially open up some areas that are hard to get to but are somewhat easier terrain once you get there?
I understand that it's not full OYO but it seems like a great way to get in there a little farther and potentially be in an area more likely to see elk. And that these fitness/gear questions are probably right up there with asking for a good unit in a first post but I appreciate your guys opinions.

Maybe a better option would be to get a mule deer point today and a tag for 2017, if possible?

Last edited:
I assume you're talking about a WY elk point? An elk point is only $50. I would encourage him to go ahead and get one. Worst case would be that he decides not to go and is out 50 bucks.

Seems to be a consensus. I know it's "pay to play" out there but he doesn't like to waste money. I'll talk to him.

Seems to be a consensus. I know it's "pay to play" out there but he doesn't like to waste money. I'll talk to him.

I'm sure he's probably a good guy, but if he thinks $50 for a preference point is "wasting" money, then elk hunting is probably not for him. I don't even want to know how much money I've wasted on elk hunting.

I shouldn't have used the word "waste". He earns what little money he has so there's not much extra for trips like this.

I grew up hunting whatever ran by the house in Missouri. Was a cheap way to put meat on the table if were a good shot and borrowed the Old Man's gun.

I could eat prime rib nightly for what I pay for wild game meat as a non-resident flying and driving to my hunts.

My AK mountain goat was a few hundred dollars a pound, all in, door to door. That is the curse of a degree in accounting. You track your costs. Ouch.

I am usually out $200 just in gear I destroy per hunt though I am rough on gear as have a knack for taking a tumble down mountain ridges. Now that I think about it, I generally find a way each hunt to fall on level ground and rip or bend something. I am about done with going on hunts now that my hair is gray, especially solo hunts in the nasty stuff, and think I should change to a less expensive hobby such as America's Cup racing.

A bull elk is a tough go in a general unit, no matter what. Why not get over the antler crap and get a cow tag? There is a lot of opportunity to have the same quality of hunt, but without a set of rag-horn antlers to show for it. Your hunt and your choice, but give the guy a break and go find a cow! It would not "waste" $50 on a preference point, either. But, that is just my opinion and I got over antlers years ago.

I completely agree about taking a chance on a cow tag. My buddy and I did that last year for our first real elk hunt and it was a blast. I had done a ranch hunt in the past, but it didn't compare at all to being in the wild. Only you and your wife's uncle guy can decide if you're capable. He's got several months if not more than a year to get his act together.

There is no cheap way to do the hunt and paying for a drop camp only adds more cost. If $50 for a point is an issue, then you've got an uphill battle selling him on a $1500-2000 elk hunt.

Buy a left-over cow tag, which is a real bargain. There are usually plenty of them, no preference points needed, and go elk hunting. Antlers make thin soup anyway.

Thanks guys, you all bring up valid points. I'll call him tonight and see if he's open to a cow hunt. I may look into picking up a cow tag myself for 2017 in whatever area we decide to scout.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back