Caribou Gear Tarp

Am i going about this the right way

Preacher shaner

I have a rem 700 in layway it is a few years old. I am looking at a boyed stock and a timny trigger. YES i know i spelled it wrong. So
350 for the 700
250esh stock
150esh trigger.
Or do i just buy a action and a barrel or a howa set up. And just add the stock to it. I have never done this before.
Thanks

I think, depending on which trigger is in your 700, it can be adjusted to feel just as good as the Timney. I have 3 rifles with Timneys, and my 1990-ish Rem 700 feels as good to me after lightening.

Watch lots of Youtube videos on replacing triggers...luckily it's not too hard to replace the Rem 700 Trigger.
Boyd Stocks are pretty easy. There may be a bit of finish work to get things to fit perfectly. I definitely recommend bedding the action. Lots of different products and videos...again not hard but takes patience.

I'll argue that you can just buy a new Rem 700 and save the hassle...I saw the 200th Anniversary Rem 700 for about $580ish has a factory wood stock if that's what you want. You can get a Cerakoted Weatherby (same action as the Howa) for about $600 if you look. Rem 700AWR is about $800-900 depending on where you look. Tikka models get to be about the same price. Kentucky Gun Co and Whittaker Guns consistently have sales. So what I'm saying is if you spend a few minutes online you can get a new rifle for about the same price as your used one plus stock. Heck the rem 700 SPS were on sale for like $450 the other day at Cabelas.

Agree with LCH on the trigger in which case you would have a nice rifle for $600. I am assuming you have a stock picked out you like and that is why you are modifying a rifle instead of buying a new/used gun that will shoot at least as well as the 700. If not, one of the rifles mthuntr mentioned would be a good option. Either way will work.

What are you hoping for in the end? You will have $750 into a rifle; which is pretty reasonable. If you go with the barreled action or a separate action and a barrel, it is going to cost you more to have an equivalent setup at the end, but it could be more accurate and better tailored to exactly what you want.

Id say you are going about it the right way depending on what youre looking for in the end. Id recommend you look at trigger-tech triggers as well. I have a lot of timneys but as of lately have been installing only trigger techs. I would also second the mentioning of glassing bedding the boyds stock.

I agree with above. Boyd’s stocks usually need some inletting and fitting work and are usually pretty heavy. For $250 I’d get a BC stock. Not a fan of timney triggers either. Get a trigger tech.

For $75 you can send the factory trigger to Neil Jones and he will disassemble it, clean it, remove any burrs and set to whatever pull weight you want and it will likely serve you as well as any aftermarket trigger that you'd put on a hunting rifle.

http://www.neiljones.com/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back