Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Always a dilemma!

Speeddmn

So I would like a new rifle, I dont need one tho.... Thats the dilemma. I have a Remmy 308 Sportster, forget the model but it's older and shoots decent enough for me. I also have an older 1903 30-06 but would rather wait till I get that great once in a life time hunt to use it in memory of my grandfather that built it.

So I hunt everything from hogs to elk currently, future holds the option of bear, moose and caribou. I know both calibers can get the job done, but as always I'd like to step up to something a bit more powerful for the moose aspect.

Also having a a caliber that can be found in more than a few spots would be a bonus. I do have cabelas and sportsman's warehouse near me. I would really like a 338 federal but still new ish and the gun itself might be a bit to costly for me.

My cailbers I'm looking into are these.

300 WSM
325 WSM
338 Federal
300 Win Mag
300 RUM
338 Win Mag

I'm sure there are a few in the same area that would work just as well. I'm just really typing this because it helps me see and usually I can talk myself into something then. Only this is different.

Any input would be great, thanks and happy hunting!

Pretty much all of the calibers listed above will get the job done assuming your shot is placed right...

If your moose/caribou/bear is just a once in a lifetime event, then change your focus a bit... Go after them with your grandfather's 30-06 as you suggest, then purchase yourself the ultimate elk rifle for the lower 48 (assuming that'll be your main focus going forward). However; if you plan to make moose/bear/caribou an every year (every other year or three years) event, then get something with a little more thump for moose and bear (like 338 Win Mag or 375 H&H).

My arsenal jumps from a 7mm Rem Mag to a 375 H&H, but that's just me... One of my AK nephews purchased a 338 Federal and didn't care for it (didn't get the job done like he was expecting), so he traded up to the 338 Win Mag. The rest of my AK relatives/friends are pretty much 338 Win Mag guys, although I have another AK nephew who is a staunch 30-06 guy.

Ammo has been easy to find for my 375 H&H at all times, even with all the shortage and hoarding going on. It's one of the few calibers that I saw stocked on shelves in remote moose/caribou/bear country. The 338 Win Mag is another AK favorite and this ammo is common place in bush communities too. Although I can't speak to either of their "readily available" status in bush country since the ammo scare started...

Best of luck on rifle hunting; it's much like shoe shopping, a tough decision and you might need to come home with two...or at least that's what I tell my wife!

Out of all thoise listed, I'd probably reccomend either of the .300 Winchesters. Great selecton of bullets, proven accuracy and they will handle all the game you listed. I shoot the RUM, and have for years. There are a lot of things to deal with shooting a RUM, and they really aren't for everyone. But, if recoil and a huge appetite for powder don't bother you, I can tell you that a 200 grain Accubond at 3200 fps is an elk killin SOB. mtmuley

My favorite in a big caiber is my Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker .338 Winchester Magnum topped with a Leupold VX3 4.5-14X40 with the CDS. Shop around and you can put one together for less than $1,500.

300 win ....has a lot of options or 300wsm...ballistically the same except you can run into some troubles with having enough room in the magazine and action for the 200 grn bullets.

I would say .338 RUM. I have a .300 WM and it would probably do the trick for moose to coastal brown bears. But when I look at the ballistics of the two rounds the .338 has a bit more punch. Not by a massive amount but still more. And you can shoot wild boar with it or brown bear.

Something to consider is how you handle recoil. The .308 will handle what you want, but I would personally go with the .300 or .325 short mags, as I prefer the shorter, handier rifles that they allow. All the ones that you mentioned are good in their own right, so it comes down to what you think fits you.

All of the calibers listed should be adequate. My personal opinion would be the 300 RUM. I've used my 300 Win Mag for years and it's been great. I recently purchased a 338 RUM and I love it.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back