Caribou Gear

Alaska bush planes

glass eye

Was doing a little research and saw Tok flights into Yukon Charley for caribou at $5,000 pp ? is that the going rate ?

Was doing a little research and saw Tok flights into Yukon Charley for caribou at $5,000 pp ? is that the going rate ?
No, it probably 30% more then the going rate. However there is a lot of demand a zak can get it.

Tok Air $4500 + $500 if you kill a caribou

40 mile Air $2500 = $900 if you kill a caribou

Two months ago I did a helicopter drop off and pick up in the NZ alps (RT) for $350 nzd = $277 usd What a difference !

Two months ago I did a helicopter drop off and pick up in the NZ alps (RT) for $350 nzd = $277 usd What a difference !

Good luck getting a spot with 40mile air if your not a repeat customer. It’s almost impossible

It's been a couple years since I've used an air taxi in AK. Most of the places I flew with charged an hourly air rate. I paid $700-800 / hr for a Cessna 206 and about $1,300 / hr for a Beaver. My most expensive trip was a Beaver into the Brooks Range. Two round trips came to $5,200 total, we split that between 3 people.

$5,000 per person seems very high to me. I'd check a few air taxis in Fairbanks. Flight time from Fairbanks to Yukon Charley isn't that far.

Your pretty much limited using a super cub in that area. Options from Fairbanks are scarce. In any event it’s its a beautiful area, looking forward to being up there next year.

Last edited:
Probably do a float hunt Eagle to Circle with my own gear. Hunt tributaries.

I am headed up that way tomorrow. Spent a summer a handful of years ago working out of eagle and Tok and got to see a lot of the 40 mile country from the air. My plan is to hunt caribou by backpacking in from the road system or possibly hiking in to a spot or two with my packraft and floating out. After that another Hunt Talk member is going to fly up and meet me in Fairbanks and we are going to float hunt for moose in that same general area. There are a few rivers throughout the state that can be hunted without using aircraft, but I don't expect to have them to myself. I do expect that with a lot of research, some ingenuity, and a good bit of hard work, I can get away from the crowds and find what I am looking for.

$NZ350!

Must have increased recently lol DOC put up their charges so I guess the operators are passing this cost on.

Last edited:
I am headed up that way tomorrow. Spent a summer a handful of years ago working out of eagle and Tok and got to see a lot of the 40 mile country from the air. My plan is to hunt caribou by backpacking in from the road system or possibly hiking in to a spot or two with my packraft and floating out. After that another Hunt Talk member is going to fly up and meet me in Fairbanks and we are going to float hunt for moose in that same general area. There are a few rivers throughout the state that can be hunted without using aircraft, but I don't expect to have them to myself. I do expect that with a lot of research, some ingenuity, and a good bit of hard work, I can get away from the crowds and find what I am looking for.
Good luck! Be safe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back