Advice for a younger hunter

Bighorn191

Yesterday I took my 21 year old son out shooting. He has a bighorn tag in CO as well as several other tags. He has killed quite a few antelope, deer, black bears. He is a lefty and has a 7mm Rem. Mag. in a Weatherby Mark V. Last year he missed a big 6 point elk at about 350 yards. While shooting yesterday off a bench, he was very inconsistent (would hit one on the paper then the next shot would totally miss the paper). I grabbed the gun and shot a 1" group in three shots so I know its not the gun. I had him shoot my RH .270 left handed and he shot a 1-1/2 " group of five shots. I am starting to think the recoil on the 7 mm is more than what he likes. Unfortunately, I don't have any other lefty guns for him to shoot.

Any advice on what I could do with this setup? Should I try to make him learn to load and shoot the .270? I always believe you should hunt with what you shoot best but having him shoot a wrong-handed gun seems over the top. Is there a way to stop the flinching if that's what he was doing? Should I invest in one of those lead sleds?

Thanks for any input.

I'm right handed and shoot my right handed rifles left handed all the time. I don't see a problem with him shooting a right handed gun left handed at all.

Let him shoot whichever gun he's most comfortable with.

The lead sled is only good to guarantee the gun will shoot where it's pointed...it won't cure his flinching. Because as soon as the sled is gone, he'll start flinching. If the recoil is too much, think about changing out guns or you could put a muzzle brake on the gun - makes it loud as hell but kicks a whole lot less.

I'm left handed and all my guns are right-handed hand-me-downs from my dad and other family members. I've never had a problem shooting them, but I'm also very conservative with the shots I take, so I've never had to shoot twice at an animal. If he shoots 1.5" inch groups he shouldn't need to reload quickly, so hopefully it's a moot point.

My father is old and shaky, but that lefty can throw the bolt on a right handed action faster that I ever think possible. Which is good thing, because he can't hit anything.

I would not hesitate to use plenty of shoulder padding for practice shooting. When hunting you are too focused to think about heavy recoil, and not getting the %$#!@# kicked out of you during practice helps in that regard. I have used a simple hard foam pad, never heard of a lead sled. Must do the same thing. If so, like I said pratice and shooting for real are two different things, IMO.

signed, wimpy gunslinger...

I used to be horribly afraid of recoil (I'm sure Fin has some good stories about my fear if you ask him) and I think a big part of what got me over it was shooting shotguns. Granted, at 12 gauge doesn't kick all that hard with low brass, but it got my focus off of the recoil and more on what I was shooting at.

Bottom line is that we have to have a good shot on the bighorn. If it takes a RH gun to do that, then I guess that's what he'll have to use. After thinking about it too, I'm wondering if the length of pull on the LH gun is too short for him or the stock just doesn't fit. We are gonna try a few different things and in less than a month, hopefully I'll be posting some pics of a big o'l ram. Thanks for the help.

As a lefty I've never actually shot a left handed rifle before, and I don't think I'm any worse off for not having done so. I'm sure your son will do fine with a RH rifle.

I agree with most others on here take the gun he shoots best I have lots of friends that are lefty and all shoot rh guns they are just easier to find.
Good luck cant wait to see pics.

A couple thoughts -

1. Put a Limbsaver recoil pad on that rifle and make it fit him properly at the same time. It if is too short, you can buy a slip-on Limbsaver pad and put it on over the old one. If the gun is too long, cut some off and then install the soft pad.

2. Try "Managed Recoil" ammo from Rem:

LOAD BULLET CHARGE VELOCITY FREE (FT/LB)
RECOIL REDUCTION

7mm Remington Magnum Savage Model 116. Weight: 8.42 lbs.
Bullet Velocity
Recoil Management load 140-gr. 2,527fps 12.3 ft-lbs recoil 31.3% recoil reduction
Federal Std Load 150-gr. 2,808fps 17.9 ft-lbs recoil

They hit with an inch or two of each other at 100 yards. Have him shoot these for practice and substitute the full-house ammo on the hunt. He won't even notice the difference when he pulls the trigger on a ram
Another tip - you shoot a group with each (Managed Recoil and Standard ammo that you are going to use), and note the difference in impact. He may not hit the same place as you but the difference should be the same. In other words, you hit an inch or two lower with the managed recoil stuff - he will also hit an inch or two lower with it. Sight-in accordingly - just don;t him know that you are slipping in the regular ammo. Put it in the Managed Recoil box if you need to...

3. Load him some lighter loads to approximate a .280 Rem load...and just let him use those.

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back