Yeti GOBOX Collection

A quick and easy way to clean birds

yooper

Here's a really nifty way to clean your upland game birds. I've used this method mainly with ruffed grouse, but I've also used it on pheasants and it works, so I'd imagine it would work with quail, etc.

Anyways: Lay the bird on the ground with its back down and the feet pointing up. Step on the wings as close to the body as you can get, and grab both feet. Slowly pull on the feet and ..... Wallah! All you'll have left is the breast with the wings still attached.

This works slicker than hell, and I always have a cooler of ice in the truck. I simply wrap the bird in a bag and place on ice. Using this method, the wing remains attached and thus the identity of the bird remains distinguishable so as to satisfy state game laws.

------------------

VEGETARIAN: Indian word meaning 'Bad Hunter'

Yooper, I got a quick one for rabbits.
Hang them by the hind legs on a couple of nails.I have a couple about 8 inches apart driven in a maple tree out back.
Skin the feller like you would normally.
Take a fillet knife and start close to the hind quarters,where the adbomen meets the pelvis.
Stick the knife through as close to the back as you can and hold the skin on the stomach with the other hand.
While pulling gently,cut down and take the ribs off also.
All the intestines will be removed without having to dig them out and it can be done in a flash after you do it a few times.Just remember to stay close to the back when you cut down.
smile.gif

------------------
Chambo

gunslinger.gif

Deer_runs.gif

http://www.hunttalk.com

One of the best things about Yoopers way is that they are half-way skinned when you split them like that. It makes it so easy that you will wonder why you ever plucked those dam birds.

Yoop
Haven't been pat hunting in a few years, but an old timer taught me that when I lived in the UP years ago. You're right, it works real slick!

------------------
polarbear2.gif

Back