A little first light luck

brockel

After the snow, wind, and cold on Sunday afternoon through yesterday evening I had a hunch on where some elk would be hanging this morning. Started slowly hiking and glassing as I made my way in. The fresh snow made picking things out nice in the early dawn light. Right at 6:35 I pick out two bulls grazing at about 350 yards. The wait for 7:05 took forever it seemed. By the time it was about legal shooting light the bulls were 900 yards out and I was stuck out in the opening with no move to make. Once they made their way around a little rise I made an 800 yard sprint to cut them off before they made it onto private. Popped over the hill to catch them walking straight away. Gave a little cow call and the back bull turned broadside at 270 yards. Put the 140 grain Berger from the short barreled 6.5 prc behind his shoulder. He stumbled 20 yards standing quartering towards me wobbling. Put another one into his shoulder and he flipped over backwards and was done. Glad to have another year of an elk in the freezer
A2216EDE-8DBF-4841-B1E0-BA056FED4128.jpeg

Congrats! I bet you were glad that 800 yard sprint took place there instead of up a mountainside.

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back