Yeti GOBOX Collection

A Hmmmm, Why question.

Gunner46

Why did the 16 ga shotshell fail ? Seemed to be a good compromise between the 20 ga and the 12 ga shell in my early years, now it's just not seen, anywhere.

I can relate to that. Dad and my Uncles saw no reason not to let a 9 yr old blast away with a Springfield '03.
I have an A3 and those don't hold back! Especially with the skull crushing properties of the buttstock

One of the main reasons for it's popularity decrease is there are no registered events for the 16 gauge. The 12, 20, 28, and 410 all have rules in the nsca. The 16 doesn't...and...it doesn't qualify as a sub gauge so if you want to shoot a 16 you would be shooting against 12 gauges which is seen as a disadvantage.

I remember my dad's old 10 gauge. I was 8 years old and it knocked me into a patch of Mexican sand burrs, but I still hit that damn milk jug dead center that my dad threw up in the air. Crying though with them childhood crocodile tears as I pulled them damn stickers out of my behind. I shot it several times growing up and learned how to handle it but damn that thing kicked hard. As for what shells he used? I don't have a clue at this time. Too long ago. But bet it and the 16 gauge kicked pretty close to the same.

It was my understating that the 3in 20 gauge shell was the cause of its demise.

My wife has has a model 12 in 16, great for turkey and upland.

This is also true.

I have a Citori Gran Lightning in 16 gauge it's got some of the nicest wood I've seen on a gun. One of my favorites.

I don't know what shells you guys are using in your 16 gauge, but I don't notice any more recoil than my 12 gauges. I use my 16 gauge when pheasant hunting and I think the recoil is very manageable and there is no recoil pad on it.

Somehow, when gramps passed away, his Steven's sxs 16 came my way.

He used to let me take it when I was in high school. I loved it, cause for some reason I rarely missed with it.

I wouldn't trade it for anything......except having gramps back.

My opinion and not so much fact, just a guess, the 16 gauge shooting shot really didn't that much better than a 20 and didn't kick that much less than a 12. Now what I loved using a 16 gauge for was slug hunting for deer. I felt it was a great gun for that, but with straight wall laws and states allowing rifles where they previously didn't, the slug gun is quickly becoming a historical piece. It is a bit of a shame as I personally loved using a 16 gauge to shot slugs but now that rifles are allowed, I didn't love it that much. Just my 2 cents.

I have always shot a 12 gauge but if a 16 gauge was made in, say a Beretta 686/7 on a true 16 gauge frame,,, I'd be sorely tempted to buy one.

Not that I would need it,,,but I'd sure think hard about it.

Lots of people shoot 20's,, I'll never be one of them.

I know a guy who loves his 16, but he always complains about not being able to find steel for it, which is required to hunt pheasants a lot of the places he goes. I guess the demands just not there for him to find it locally.

Ditto above, Still fairly popular over in Europe but I think that the steel shot requirements spreading across the U.S. will drive the final nail in the 16's coffin...too hard to find and mucho dinero if you do!

I know a guy who loves his 16, but he always complains about not being able to find steel for it, which is required to hunt pheasants a lot of the places he goes. I guess the demands just not there for him to find it locally.
Steel shot is not available everywhere unfortunately due to differing state requirements. But you should be able to order it though most sporting goods stores that sells gun and ammo.

I sold my 16b Evans. But I didn't sell the ammo I had loaded for it. So, now i need a 16 again.

Anyone that thinks a 16 is unnecessary because of the advent of 3" 20s or some other chambering has to really ponder why there are 57 varieties of 6.5 mm (or any other rifle caliber you can think of), and many of which will probably require reloading.

But anyway, if you have a vintage 16 side-by that needs a new home, I may be available and able to provide it shelter and exercise for a decade or two.

I bought a sweet 16 A5 Browning when I was 16. A couple of years ago I bought an action and sawed off barrel for an older one. Barrels are expensive and hard to find. I prefer the 16 for grouse hunting and whatever needs to be shot around the house. It's light, fast and and very comfortable to shoot. The choices in shells have been poor since the 70s. I have 4 - 12s but have always preferred my 16. Especially for upland game.

Back