A first encounter...

Dwreckers

Well Saturday 10/24 I had my first apex predator encounter in the snow in Eastern Washington. I was deer hunting the modern rifle season solo camping out of my truck. After a few days and only does my buddy texted me asking how I was faring. I told him it was a little cold and hadn’t seen a buck yet. He sent me some gps points and told me there’s a big patch of fire weeds back here and that’s where I shot my last whitetail. 3803C93F-E9CD-4002-9AAE-CF97E23A270F.jpeg

That next morning I went back there and found the patch of weeds. It had snowed the day before about 6” or so and I could see all the fresh tracks in the snow. I got set up on a little meadow just north of the weeds and sat there for about an hour before deciding it was too cold to sit. I decided to still hunt through the burnt timber on some north facing slopes. I reached a beautiful looking gully and thought a great place to sit for deer. But I was still too cold to sit so decided to just walk to the other side. As I got down to the bottom and started up the other side I came across some tracks that weren’t deer but I couldn’t tell what they were in the deeper snow. I started to walk away but I was intrigued too much so I decided to turn around and look at them again.

I started following the tracks backwards due to not being able to fully tell which direction they were going. I followed them about 40 yards and I came across a log that had a 1 foot+ section of the snow taken knocked off. This log was about knee high and deer don’t knock snow off like that. I could tell the trail went through a ton of deadfall and decided not to follow them through there. I turned around and started following the trail the other way. 176A0F1A-8DB3-4AEB-A38E-DF80B87FB991.jpeg
2576D512-306A-444E-8A9D-D398DCFE5A0A.jpeg

That’s when I saw the first clear print. Wolf! And the tracks the size of my palm! And now I was following it the correct way! I was thinking to myself “how cool would it be to see one and also is this a dumb idea?” I didn’t make it 100 yards and I look up the tracks and there it is! Out of the brush emerges a big black figure. The words fell from my mouth out loud “Oh my god” as my heart skipped a beat or two. He walked/trotted about 40 yards across the open hillside. Before he got to the brush he just stops and turns his head to look at me for a few seconds before dipping back into the brush never to be seen again.
53195A59-2809-43FF-8D21-4B66C22B956F.jpeg
7C993242-A840-4DC3-8699-DC031CEB4533.jpeg
When you see wolves in the zoo you don’t really take note how big they are but when you’re alone in the woods with nobody within at least a mile of you, you really notice how big they are and how easy it is for them to move through the snow. After our encounter I just decided to back out and head for the truck. He can have that area (also not sure if he had others within he area). All in all it was a great experience even if it was a little scary for a few seconds. They’re so in tune with nature he knew about me way before I did him. I only wish I was able to get a picture of him...

That’s cool you got to see one did you end up getting a deer?

That’s cool you got to see one did you end up getting a deer?
I did not unfortunately but that’s fine by me. It was my 2nd solo hunt ever camping by myself. Never even saw a buck! Quite a few does ranging from 10 feet - 80 yards

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back