A Canadian and Montanan

OntarioHunter

I am moving to this forum on recommendation of one of current members. The unmoderated outdoors forum I've been on for last ten years is now smothered with troll abusers and spammers. I hear Randy keeps a close but fair eye on things here. From what I see, the site looks well taken care of.

I have been hunting for fifty-six years this fall. The list of game taken includes several elk, half a dozen moose, more than sixty deer, and, as of last year, African game (more of them planned for this year but COVID killed that deal - next year).

Every fall I return home to Montana to hunt birds with my dogs (black Lab and French Brittany) and deer with my brother. This year I also have an elk tag. Here in Ontario I mostly hunt waterfowl and grouse. Gave up on moose twenty years ago. More meat than I needed and the resource is being badly managed. Just decided I didn't want to be part of that problem.
2019-08-24 gemsbuck.jpg20200911_090708.jpg

Sounds like you have a lot of knowledge to share.
Please "fire" away.
AND we love pictures.
I have been in Montana all my life with no desire to live any other place.
What part of Montana do you hunt?
Raised in the Flathead Valley but also lived in Missoula (U of M), Bozeman (MSU), Chinook, and Big Timber. Don't have much to do with West Side anymore. Too much Californication. East Side is "developing" much slower ... thankfully. That's where I do most of my hunting these days.

Raised in the Flathead Valley but also lived in Missoula (U of M), Bozeman (MSU), Chinook, and Big Timber. Don't have much to do with West Side anymore. Too much Californication. East Side is "developing" much slower ... thankfully. That's where I do most of my hunting these days.
I'm east-central Mt.
But do cover most the eastern area, A little bit on the west side. We have crane tags for Ovando, just past Lincoln.
The D-I-L had and filled a Moose tag over by Yaak. Hunted wolf by Eureka a little, and all have antelope tags east of Billings.
Maybe one day we will run into each other...

I'm east-central Mt.
But do cover most the eastern area, A little bit on the west side. We have crane tags for Ovando, just past Lincoln.
The D-I-L had and filled a Moose tag over by Yaak. Hunted wolf by Eureka a little, and all have antelope tags east of Billings.
Maybe one day we will run into each other...
That would be nice. I hunted down to Geraldine two years ago and might go that far again. There's a small piece of state land in the mountains near there I'd love to hunt again. Absolutely spectacular scenery. No way would I shoot a deer in that godawful canyon but there were a few pheasants in the willows along the creek ... any birds at all was saying something that year. I'd like to go back just for some photos. Or a video! Definitely need to wait for things to chill out though. That is prime rattlesnake country.

That is prime rattlesnake country.

Yes! Yes, it is.
I was just there yesterday hunting sharptail and calling coyotes.
Saw a few of each came home empty-handed.
We did however find a snake denning area, Lots of snakes of several types laying in the sun.

Back