MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

7-08 bullet??

wisconsinteacher

I have 3 different bullets on the bench for my new 7-08. I have 150 Partitions, 150 Ballistic Tips and 162 ELDX bullets. What would you pick for a deer hunting round where shots will be 20-200 yards?

I'd pick the partitions especially if elk is ever on the menu. I've never used but hear that the 150 Ballistic Tips are pretty tough so I'd consider those if I had more experience with them. I used to shoot a lot of 139 SSTs back in the day and those killed deer just fine so I'd guess the 150 BTs would do just fine.

Big nope on the 162ELDX...I saw what they can't do on a whitetail buck last season...exploded on impact deer fell down but 5 minutes later he was standing up and walking and a second bullet was needed to put him down. Friend was shooting a 7mm08 so it wasn't like it was moving terribly fast but even he is reconsidering the bullet. I know this is a trend of 1 but that's a sour taste nobody wants

They'll all do great. Personally, I'd probably pick the partition because it would be handy to have my deer load also work well for larger critters.

If you didn't already have bullets, I would say the 120 grain Nosler BT's. I have found them to be very accurate in both 7mm-08 and Rem 7 Mag. I beleive the jackets are a bit thicker on them so they hold up fairly well too.

If you didn't already have bullets, I would say the 120 grain Nosler BT's. I have found them to be very accurate in both 7mm-08 and Rem 7 Mag. I beleive the jackets are a bit thicker on them so they hold up fairly well too.
+1 on this. I use them in 280 Ackley and they're great.

outta those the partition is my pick with the BT second

Neither. I’d use 140 grain Partitions or Accubonds for the “heavy” rounds. For deer, the 120 grain NBT is very hard too beat.

You probably just got what you got as components are still pretty hard to track down most days, but my 7-08 definitely seems to like 140gn bullets more than 150's. But of the choices you mentioned for deer, I'd probably use the BTs and save the Partitions for something bigger. I'm not a huge fan of BTs, but they do seem less explosive on the receiving end than the ELD-X. And they are actually pretty easy to load for accuracy. Mis dos centavos.

I want to hijack this thread a little bit.

I'm due for an elk hunt sooner or later, and 150 grain soft points shoot really well in my 708, how do yall feel about using them on elk?

haven't shot a 7mm rifle in years but the best bullet's in my old 7mm mag were 160gr Speer Hot Cores. Tuff bullet's that didn't come apart and accurate to boot. Never regretted using them!

I hunted whitetails & pigs for a decade with 150 BT's. Why? Cuz that was I had on hand when I retired my 7 RM, plain & simple. 15 ft out to 300 yds+, first shot, Done!

But the truth is I've switched to 140 BT's for slightly better ballistics.

If I didn't have so many 140's on hand I'd now probably just use a 120BT. Same jacket as the 140 BT, but a sreamer!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back