6.5 Grendelstein - COVID and Supply Shortage Build

shannerdrake

I wanted to share with the community my most recent build. I call it 6.5 Grendelstein because it is chambered in 6.5 Grendel and pieced together with parts from about a dozen manufacturers. This started out as a full DIY precision build that could serve a triple purpose - target shooting, predator hunting, and big game (not the big stuff) hunting.

However, the nationwide parts and ammo shortage caused me to get a little more creative and I essentially had to make the best of what I could get my hands on. I’ll walk you through the build then show you the final product.

The build started with a Ruger stripped lower receiver that I bought for $75 before the election based on a hunch. I’m glad I did.

I was also able to track down a Palmetto State Armory (PSA) lower parts kit with Magpul furniture on a really good price so I went with it.

The lower build was pretty straightforward, although I did take the time to polish the trigger which was a very worthwhile time investment.

Attachments

• CCFAE428-158B-4A4B-94C6-D8A84B13326A.jpeg
    CCFAE428-158B-4A4B-94C6-D8A84B13326A.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 14
  • 42A37E05-DDA9-4B43-8418-9E125241AD2F.jpeg
    42A37E05-DDA9-4B43-8418-9E125241AD2F.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 14
  • CB713B4E-ED0B-4B30-AFCD-C194A737BFBE.jpeg
    CB713B4E-ED0B-4B30-AFCD-C194A737BFBE.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
After considerable time, I was able to track down an AR Stoner stripped upper through Midway. I was also able to find an Alexander Arms 20in heavy barrel at Optics Planet.

The barrel was a great investment and I’m glad I spent the coin on it. The receiver was a little disappointing. The front of the barrel threads were very uneven and had a ridge running through them. I tried to lap the front using a Wheeler kit to true it up but despite numerous lapping sessions it was still raised up. I also noticed that the lapping tool slid into the receiver way too easily. Also the barrel was loose in the receiver. In short, I didn’t think it was ever going to be what I wanted for the build. Credit to Middway they had me send it back (their cost) and refunded my money.

I ended up getting a Noreen stripped upper and bolt carrier group through AIM Surplus (great company!). This receiver trued with only a minute of lapping and had very tight press fit lockup.

Attachments

• F52EA7E0-ADB8-4385-995B-22E93552391A.jpeg
    F52EA7E0-ADB8-4385-995B-22E93552391A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
I was finally ready to assemble the upper. I used an AR Stoner upper parts kit, but swapped the dust cover with one that said 6.5 Grendel on it. The barrel pressed in nicely, but I also coated the barrel extension with blue loctite to bed the extension to the receiver. Torqued the barrel nut from a Matrix Arms Foxtrot M-Lock 15in free float handguard and let it sit barrel down in the vice for 24 hours.

A note about the Matrix Arms handguard. They are very inexpensive and extremely high quality. I will be putting these on all my builds as my default handguard. Just outstanding, particularly for the price. Their customer service is outstanding. The owner/CEO Allen Farris actually answered one of my emails. I ended up losing the screws that clamped the handguard to the barrel nut and Allen shipped me replacements and wouldn’t even let me pay the shipping.

After the loctite setup I installed the Aero Precision gas tube and block and screwed on the TacFire Linear Compensator.

After dropping in the AIM Surplus Bolt Carrier Group, Strike Industries charging handle, and C-Products magazine, the build was done.

Attachments

• 0F9F7810-AA3B-4C24-9F4C-CADD473A9A66.jpeg
    0F9F7810-AA3B-4C24-9F4C-CADD473A9A66.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 9
  • B598F92D-B8B6-4ED3-9487-CE4D8CDA0D0C.jpeg
    B598F92D-B8B6-4ED3-9487-CE4D8CDA0D0C.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 9
Here is the finished product and the build sheet:
- Ruger Stripped Upper
- PSA Lower Parts Kit
- Magpul Stock, Grip, Trigger Guard
- Noreen Stripped Upper
- AIM Surplus 6.5 Grendel Bolt Carrier Group
- Strike Industries ARCH Charging Handle
- Squirrel Daddy 6.5 Grendel Dust Cover
- AR Stoner Upper Parts Kit
- Alexander Arms Barrel
- Matrix Arms Foxtrot M-LOK 15in Handguard
- Aero Precision Gad Tube and Gas Block
- TacFire Linear Compensator
- C-Products 5 and 26rd Magazines

Don’t ask me how it shoots - I don’t know. I haven’t picked a scope yet and I can’t find any ammo. No joke, not a single round of 6.5 Grendel unless I want to pay $5 a round.

It was a fun build and required me to get a little creative piecing it together, but that was most of the fun!

Attachments

• 200E2EF7-9CD6-4875-A2DE-4381EF2F3187.jpeg
    200E2EF7-9CD6-4875-A2DE-4381EF2F3187.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 19
- Ruger Stripped Upper
- PSA Lower Parts Kit
- Noreen Stripped Upper
- Alexander Arms Barrel

Don’t ask me how it shoots - I don’t know. I haven’t picked a scope yet and I can’t find any ammo. No joke, not a single round of 6.5 Grendel unless I want to pay $5 a round.

It was a fun build and required me to get a little creative piecing it together, but that was most of the fun!

I have a couple boxes of Wolf 6.5 Grendel that I would be happy to send your way so you can enjoy your rifle. Feel free to PM me your address and I will ship them to you

Great little cartridge that I just got into in the last 6 months or so. I built an AR that my son will likely start hunting with, but also traded into one in a Howa mini action. Great little low recoil round with plenty of pop for deer at the ranges that I hunt them at (250 or less, usually far less)

I started a Grendel build when all this mess kicked off because Wolf makes relatively cheap ammo for it and it remained in stock longer than most. I'm halfway done with the build but now there's no Grendel left anywhere just like all the other calibers.

I have a 6.8spc upper I also built but was interested in the 6.5 Grendel as well

Very nicely done!! I've got a very similar project in the works. Gathering parts like a fall squirrel gathers nuts.

I see you are Indiana too! I'm central north of Indy - you?
I used to live in Noblesville, but a couple of years ago moved back home to Gibson County, just north of Evansville. Have land and do most of my hunting in Crawford County near Patoka Lake.

I used to live in Noblesville, but a couple of years ago moved back home to Gibson County, just north of Evansville. Have land and do most of my hunting in Crawford County near Patoka Lake.
I grew up in Sullivan county, but my mom's family (Poehlein) is from the Gibson/Pike area. Particularly around Winslow. I did a fair amount of hunting and fishing down there when I was a kid.

Growing up I did most of my hunting on Sugar Ridge between Winslow and Stendal. Still a neat area. Almost makes one glad they had the lack of mine reclaim laws they had at the time.

I don't usually get into the MSR builds, but i'm a fan of the Grendel.

I do have a question.
I saw you put blue Loctite on the barrel when you pressed it in. So i'm taking it that the barrels press into the receiver with some sort of arrangement to further squeeze the barrel so as not to come loose.
But will the blue Loctite prevent you from taking it apart should you need to replace the barrel, or decide to go to a different cartridge?

I don't usually get into the MSR builds, but i'm a fan of the Grendel.

I do have a question.
I saw you put blue Loctite on the barrel when you pressed it in. So i'm taking it that the barrels press into the receiver with some sort of arrangement to further squeeze the barrel so as not to come loose.
But will the blue Loctite prevent you from taking it apart should you need to replace the barrel, or decide to go to a different cartridge?
This is a debated topic among MSR builders. I’d never bother on a plinker build, but I think it’s worth it on a precision build along with lapping the receiver thread face.
The thought is that the blue loctite will fill the smallest of voids and when it sets up create consistent pressure all around the extension and theoretically create more consistent harmonics.
Bill Alexander (the inventor of the Grendel) builds his rigs this way so that’s reason enough for me.
Blue loctite is far from permanent and in some cases you can just take the barrel nut off and they will come out by hand. If not, you can tap the barrel out with a wooden dowel rod.
MSR builds are a lot of fun and are a good entry into gunsmithing. Plus the three smallest groups I’ve ever shot in my life were with MSRs and factory ammo.
On another note, I highly recommend the linear compensators for hunting builds. They do a decent job directing the blast forward. I also run at least a 20in barrel on a hunting rig. I shot shot a buck on a trot and didn’t have time to put my ear plugs in. I was shooting a 308 AR-10 build with a flash suppressor. I like to say I shot that deer on a Friday and heard again on Monday. The linear comp helps that out a lot.

I've been picking up pieces for a 300BO. The hunt for parts has been interesting and mostly fun, lol. I believe I only have one more piece to decide on then I'll start building soon. Hopefully you'll get some ammo soon, the Grendel is a great little cartridge.

- Ruger Stripped Upper
- PSA Lower Parts Kit
- Noreen Stripped Upper
- Alexander Arms Barrel

I also own a Grendel. 20” BCA flat top upper on a fully assembled PSA lower. Leupold Rifleman 3-9. All is good enough to stay exactly as is forever, but we don’t operate that way now, do we?!? The PSA trigger is alright, decent reset too. But I want to mess with it. Did you consider switching it out too or have you any suggestions? Something adjustable would be superb and it needs to be idiot proof so even a dumb bastard like myself could drop it in.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back