44 mag/recovered Barnes/cow

HandgunHunter

Couldn’t find a bull I wanted so I took this gal for the freezer and she is good😁.

40 yard shot in dark timber standing threading the needle through some branches. 29dx (it’s in the middle of being cleaned in the pic, was wet inside from snow). Barnes xpb 225 44 mag 1300 at the muzzle. Was an actual bang flop as in fell over right at impact.

quartering shot. Impact in the lung and trapped under the far side shoulder. Almost three fingers would fit in the entrance and off side wound. About a 5” bruising around the impact.

Attachments

• 7A3CDF30-876D-48A1-925E-B03FF95F1C4F.jpeg
    7A3CDF30-876D-48A1-925E-B03FF95F1C4F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 143
Congrats!!!!! The mushroomed bullet and wound are impressive. The old 44 mag does it again. Plus with iron sights. What else is there to say?
Dan

Nice! And now some [possibly] dumb questions... I’m a long time east coast archery hunter and never paid much attention to gun hunting options. Did my first western archery hunt this year and carried a 44 for griz protection but never imagined hunting with it and never imagined or thought that it would be legal to hunt with it. What state were you in and is it legal in a lot of states to hunt big game with a hand gun?

Nice! And now some [possibly] dumb questions... I’m a long time east coast archery hunter and never paid much attention to gun hunting options. Did my first western archery hunt this year and carried a 44 for griz protection but never imagined hunting with it and never imagined or thought that it would be legal to hunt with it. What state were you in and is it legal in a lot of states to hunt big game with a hand gun?
I live in Wyoming. In all but 1-2 states(they are in the north east) handgun hunting is completely legal. It’s the only type of firearm I have used to hunt with for over 15 years.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back