Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

4 month old lab

powderburn

I was headed home from work on Thursday and I drive right by the local Animal Shelter. I have a habit of stopping there and checking out the dogs every couple of weeks. Well if there's not a 4 month old yellow lab looking as if it just lost its best friend. All the dogs are barking and jumping up at the doors except this lab pup. It's just sitting watching me with puzzled look. I inquire at the desk and find out the couple just dropped it off because they have a 6 month old at home and they find it to much to handle. $30.00 dollars later I'm headed home with a pure breed yellow lab. This dog has had formal training and at 4 months knows all the basic commands.
Had him to the vet and had blood work done, physical came out 100% and at 4 months he weighed in at 46lbs.
Walks at heel and won't break stride when other dogs are barking at him. He
retreives balls right to hand and has a real gentle mouth. His eyes lit up and he became quite allert when I ran some phesant tail feathers under his nose. Seems this guy[un-named for now] just dropped from heaven.
As soon as the flood waters receed around here we'll start him on water retreives. He's also going to get a lot of exposure to pounding wild pigeons over the next couple of months.

Too cool

Sounds like you got a winner there powderburn. Time to share some pics with us. At his age he should be ready for the "flying livers" this Fall. Now work on a name, and "son-of-a-beech" is already taken. :D

Sounds like you got lucky.. Seems angels drop from heaven and Micheal is a good angel name.. Shorten it and call him Mike..

:cool:

That is really great to come across such a treasure...

We got lucky and found some at the pounds...

Like you, we spent a little and got a lot....

Way to go.... :)

pics of Koda

Well the kids decided on Koda for a name they were not impressed with the name I came up with..Dickweed.
koda009.jpg

koda006.jpg
koda007.jpg

Good looking pup. I may have to get another one in the next few years. Mine could not keep up with me on our run today and I wasn't exactly setting records. He can still chase the bumpers like a madman though. :D

He's bringing the dummy back from as far as I can throw it, even in the taller grass. I put pheasant scent on the canvas and he finds it every time. I make sure I throw it into the wind so he catches the scent easier, I don't want to discourage him to bad. He'll be discouraged enough when I start missing the birds.
kodaretieve1.jpg

kodaretrieve.jpg

You are bringing back some memories.
Ax_at_yellowstone.sized.jpg

axl_with_wing_1.sized.jpg

pickup_rest.sized.jpg

They grow up so fast. :D Here was his first duck hunt.
Axl_with_a_limit.sized.jpg

You guys look like you have to much fun with your dogs... Its great to have a dog that you can take every where... :)

Not quite the form that Axle has but at under 6 months Koda's got all the ambition needed to perform. A couple more months to hone his technic.
Project17.jpg

Koda was introduced to a couple of golden retriever gals named Sadie and Tye tonight. The retrievers belong to our friends and take to water like sponges. I couldn't keep the camera out to long because if would have gotten soaked. Sadie and Tye are sisters and only 15 months old. All 3 dogs are in the second picture and it didn't matter which dog got the dummy the others would let it return it without a fight and head out for the next round.
dogs2.jpg

dogs1.jpg

dogs3.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sinhba
Back