Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

.338 loads with X bullets

Calif. Hunter

I finally got out to try my .338 with the 225 gr Barnes X bullet loads. I didn't have time to chrono the loads with the rain coming in, but the 71 gr of IMR-4350 and 72 gr of RL-22 loads both shot sub-MOA groups. In fact, the RL-22 loads were much less than an inch. With the Hornady 225 gr bullet, my Tikka preferred a 72 gr load of IMR-4350. I will probably stick with the RL-load, as the groups were smaller, but that load kicks like a mule off the bench!
eek.gif

Cali., how far off the lands were your loads? I have heard that the Barnes X bullets like anywhere from .030 to .070".

Thanks in advance,

Jude
wink.gif

I don't know, Jude. I loaded them as long as the magazine would let me.
wink.gif
(I don't have the set-up for .338 for my Stoney POint Comparator.) Whatever it is, I'm going to leave it alone. Most of the groups were 1/2 to 5/8 inch, and some were one ragged hole.
eek.gif
For a magnum off the bench, that is pretty good for me yanking the trigger.

I can measure the rounds and give you an OAL if you like.

Cali., I don't know if measuring your rounds would help, although I appreciate your offer. I just wanted to see were abouts you started because I bought some for my 338 about a month ago from a Midway sale, and plan on loading some soon. I will most likely start at .030 off the lands and go from there. I hope I get the same results you did as I have heard from other people that the Barnes aren't easy to get tight groups.

Jude
wink.gif

Jude- I bought about 200 of the bullets from Midway on special. That was a great price, and I can use that bullet on anything I will hunt with the .338, including plains game in Africa in a couple of years with the Moose Man, I hope. I'll probably stick with the RL-22 load, but I'll chrono it before I decide.

Calif. Hunter; Let us know what your RL22 load chrono's out at. That is the powder and bullet that I'm loading in my wife's .338 and am wondering how our velocities stack up agaist yours. -memtb

Back