.300 Win Mag vs 6.5 Creedmoor

BucksnDucks

I kind of think the defination of mountain rifle mostly depends on who's giving the defination!
Thanks Don! From now on I will ignore definations of the likes of chuck Hawks and others, leaving it up to the rifle owner. To each their own, my mistake for reading the original post and thinking the OP was asking for opinions.

Don Fischer

Pretty much this^^^^^^
and I believe the CM Mesa is much more an all-around rifle not really meeting the definition of mountain rifle.
I think it is pretty much an all around cartridge but in the right rifle a good mountain rifle also. Best thing I had to a good mountain rifle was actually a 660 Rem that my son has now. it was in 308 w/20" barrel, 2 3/4x fixed scope and balanced really well between my hands. had a mod 7 when they first came out that didn't shoot well at akk. But the size of the stock and if it had had a heavier barrel it would have been great to haul around. Yet I still think a good mountain rifle depends on the user and his abilitry to carry weight. To some a 7 1/2# rifle is nothing and others aren't bothered by a 28" barrel. In the end a good mountain rifle to one guy may not be to another.

Don Fischer

Thanks Don! From now on I will ignore definations of the likes of chuck Hawks and others, leaving it up to the rifle owner. To each their own, my mistake for reading the original post and thinking the OP was asking for opinions.
Well guess I should go back and look. I thoiugh he was!

Don Fischer

Well I went back and read it again and to me, "was wanting to know" sounds like asking for an opinion! And his opinion asks for either the 300 mag or 6.5 CM those are cartridgrs either of which might be in someones mountain rifle. As for mountain rifle, that is not a cartridge, it's a rifle and could be in a number of different cartridges depending on the shooter. sorry to have confused you!

ImBillT

I think it is pretty much an all around cartridge but in the right rifle a good mountain rifle also. Best thing I had to a good mountain rifle was actually a 660 Rem that my son has now. it was in 308 w/20" barrel, 2 3/4x fixed scope and balanced really well between my hands. had a mod 7 when they first came out that didn't shoot well at akk. But the size of the stock and if it had had a heavier barrel it would have been great to haul around. Yet I still think a good mountain rifle depends on the user and his abilitry to carry weight. To some a 7 1/2# rifle is nothing and others aren't bothered by a 28" barrel. In the end a good mountain rifle to one guy may not be to another.

^^^completely and totally agree with the bold section.

This year I carried a 27” barreled rifle that weighed 8.25lbs, and A) considered it a pleasure to carry, but B) wished it weighed .75-1lb more for stability purposes. Having never been bothered by carrying a 10lb rifle, I don’t think 9lbs would have bothered me at all, but I could probably have shot a 9lb rifle better from sticks.

nards444

the 6.5 is the hip thing. Its nice low recoil and shoots flat. But the 300 is going to hit harder at just about any range. The 300 also means very little if any compensation for drop until after 300 yards

ImBillT

the 6.5 is the hip thing. Its nice low recoil and shoots flat. But the 300 is going to hit harder at just about any range. The 300 also means very little if any compensation for drop until after 300 yards
Oooooh that’s what the “300” means. I never caught that.

88man

flip a coin> it comes down to if you are a real rifleman and cool hand Luke shooter. Either will kill at the same ranges with a well placed shot. Its really all up to the shooter how good he is and how confident in waiting for the right shot.

rifle size/weight/length matters most in steadiness and shootability
Bullet type matters most of the time

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coker737