Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

30-06 with n550 powder max charge.

Orlandy

I’m curious if anyone here has any experience loading 30-06 with VV n550 powder. I’m trying it out for the first time with a new rifle and am finding mixed data about what the max charge may be for a 168 grain vld Berger bullet between the berger manual and the vihta vouri website. I’ll be using starline brass and seating .020” off the lands to start. I’m of course going to start low and work up looking for pressure signs but any input from anyone experienced with the powder would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Look across enough reloading data and you’ll go crazy trying to figure out who’s crazy and who’s reasonable.

Some of the books beginning charges are higher than others max charges. Absolutely insane.

Look across enough reloading data and you’ll go crazy trying to figure out who’s crazy and who’s reasonable.

Some of the books beginning charges are higher than others max charges. Absolutely insane.
That’s why every book tells you never to go straight to max, and to monitor pressure signs as you work up.

Doesn’t do any good when Hodgdon gives you a max charge 0.5 gr under what nosler will for a minimum
You still missed the point. Every barrel is different, chambers vary, different brass has different volumes, different seating depths with different bullets will yeild different results, different lots of the same powder will yeild different results, and I’m sure I’m missing a few factors. It’s impossible for all the manuals to get matching results. When one manual has a max load below another manual’s lowest load, it’s not insane, it’s almost to be expected. All of them pretty much tell you that your results aren’t going to exactly match theirs. I would not consider the lowest charges listed in any of them to be a “minimum” charge. That said, half charges seem to be potentially dangerous.

Back