Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

3 Wy Preference Points for 2019

prohuntercem

Hey all. I've been a member for a bit but have only posted a few times. Enjoy keeping up with how everyone's seasons is going though. A little background info on myself. Don't let my username fool you, i'm no "prohunter". its an old username from middle school. I'm 30 and live in Georgia. Have hunted Colorado for elk and mule deer on public land and was successful on 2 mule deer bucks and no elk. I have hunted Wyoming 2 times for Antelope and Mule deer on public land and have been successful and filled all of my buck tags on each hunt. No none were monsters but they are all hanging on my walls as a trophy to me, and the table fare was great. Nothing like hunting out West.

On to the point of the thread... Me and friend here in Georgia will both finally have an opportunity in the 2019 season to pull off a week long ARCHERY elk hunt. We will have 3 preference points each for Wyoming. We have been looking at unit 37 since I know someone that has a season of experience in that unit. A couple questions I have to start off with is 1- for some reason i'm having a hard time finding regulations on nonres hunters for unit 37? also i'm having trouble trying to find someone to pack us in and out of the unit? 2- Are there any other units I should be looking at with the amount of preference points we will have? We don't mind putting in some miles. I have subscribed to the Huntmaps since 2013 and have that in my back pocket to keep me in the right areas. We don't expect to come home with 350" bulls (although who wouldn't like to), we would just like to have opportunities as decent/respectable bulls for the points we have available. Thanks for any input and time.

I'm in a similar situation, but it'll be the following year when I have 3 elk PP. I may be missing something but from what I'm looking at, non-resident PP draw odds for unit 37 show that no one with less than 4 PP drew that unit last year, and only 50% of those with 4 PP got a tag.

1- for some reason i'm having a hard time finding regulations on nonres hunters for unit 37?

What specific regulations are you looking for? 37 type 9 is Sept 1-30, but general tags are also valid there Sept 15-30. Are you planning to apply for the type 9 or a general?

37-9 was guaranteed with 3 points in the special draw last year. 50% with 4 points in the regular draw.

If 37 is where you want to go and you are willing to put on the miles, you don’t need to be packed in.

Thanks for the replies! I am thinking I would apply for the type 9 witch if I’m not mistaken would be archery only. Living so far away I’ll get to make one trip and that’s it for the year. As far as what regulations I’m looking for I was mostly referring to non residents in the wilderness or forest service lands without a guide? The only reasons we wouldn’t mind having someone pack us in/out is to save time and to get animals out faster if we were to get lucky enough to harvest. It doesn’t look like there is much land that a non resident can access without a guide according to huntmaps if I’m understanding the nonresident regs correct. What is the difference in a special draw? Price of tag? Thanks again

Last edited:
Nonresidents can’t hunt wilderness without a professional or resident guide, but there isn’t that much wilderness in 37. Special draw costs more than regular, but sometimes means you can draw with fewer points.

I've been doing some research myself on different units. I think you could do better with your points than 37 by heading farther west. Most are grizzly units there but think you would have a better hunt. I have no personal experience with 37 but I've been told the majority of the elk are in the wilderness or private. Best of luck wherever you decide to draw your tag.

Thanks. Yeah that’s was one of my concerns was the elk being on the wilderness. I know I’ve seen a few outfitters that hunt unit 37 for elk and feel like it’s a safe bet that’s where they head to first with a client. Another concern for me is how many access roads I seen on my maps for 37. Doesn’t look like there are many places you can really get away from other hunters. Witch could also help solve my delima of wether to be packed in or not. We wouldn’t have to camp far from the truck. I’m not sure how crowded it would be during the first 2 weeks of bow season. I would assume the first of the season the elk should be a little easier to find for a few days.

This is coming from someone with no experience in 37, but I think you could find a hunt that’s as good, or better on a general tag.

Another concern for me is how many access roads I seen on my maps for 37. Doesn’t look like there are many places you can really get away from other hunters.

This suggests to me you either really haven’t researched this unit or you don’t understand how steep and rugged the unit is. Having hunted 37, i would say the lack of roads actually makes access and game retrieval quite challenging.

This is coming from someone with no experience in 37, but I think you could find a hunt that’s as good, or better on a general tag.

With three points, i agree.

Hmmmm. Ok. I've got a little over a month or so to look at some other units. I'll see what I can find. Any general unit suggestions to start with? Thanks

Back