Caribou Gear

.280AI bullets question.

williaada

I am going to be reloading for my .280AI and was planning on using 160gr bullets but after reading the reloading bookS and using the ballistic calculators online it appears the 140gr bullet drops less and delivers more energy than the 160gr. bullet. What would cause this to happen?

Difference in velocity. The 140 must be a better balancing point for that caliber. The Nosler loading info shows the 140 grain is about 220 fps faster than the 160 grain. These were both accubond loads.

I was using to Accubond bullets and the data. The websites and books still show the 140gr bullet hitting with more energy. I question what is the reason for using a 160gr then?

No real world differences in terminal energy between those rounds on the chart and likely none out to over 700y.
Nah, was just showing the OP that heavier grain projectiles of the same bullet style tend to retain energy better downrange. Nothing spectacular to make someone choose one over the other for real world hunting situations for most people.

When running your numbers I would look at drop and drift. I don't believe energy values really tell you much. As others have mentioned, you will see a more noticeable difference beyond 500 yards when comparing the two.

For me, I seemed to get a bit better accuracy with 160 grain NAB at 2,960 fps versus the 140's at around 3100. I switched last year to 143 grain Hammer Hunters and won't be switching back to NAB.

Personally I like the 160, it shoots great for me and serves my needs well. I take it for deer, elk, bear. I know it will work on everything. To each there own, good luck.

140 gr. Accubond or Partition : I have had great success with those two bullets in my 280AI. I am using IMR7828SSC and it seems to work pretty well. As the attached thread indicates it also worked pretty darn good for me on my Grizzly bear hunt last fall.

As far as velocity in the 24" Shilen Match grade barrel on my Model 70 build I get 3186 fps with the Accubond and 3230 fps with the Partition. Both shoot very well also.

Old thread - sorry to revive but I wasn't sure if I should just start a new one. I always try to search first.

I'm up in Alaska and my 280AI is going to be my all around rifle from Dall sheep in the back country to Moose and Grizzly if need be in the Willows.
I have currently purchased Nosler 140 and Hornady 160 grain factory ammo to get my started but I'm looking at starting to reload and was trying to decide as I search for bullets - would the 140, 150 or 160 grain be a better overall hunting round? Looking at the ELD-X or Accubond - I would prefer to shoot the Nosler but will shoot whatever is best. Thanks guys, just starting to look into reloading.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back