.280 Remington Powders

There was a recent post on this, last week. Some rally good info there. My experience with both the 270 and 280 is what works well works well in the other. They are nearly identical.

I like RL22, RL19, and IMR4831. I'm sure there are others, but I've got loads from all three that shoot extremely well in my 2 -280s.

In random google searches I've been doing, RL19 and IMR4831 seem to come up a lot. I'm interested in what the Hunttalkers have to say. If I get some responses on this thread I'll go through and tally them up.

What bullet you thinking? 4831 would be on my list unless you plan on heavier bullets then I would think something a touch slower would be better suited

I'm in the process of testing RL26 in my 280AI and by searching for info on that I discovered a lot of guys are trying in the 280Rem in the heavier bullets.

I'm asking in a very general sense. What do you like?

I'm probably going to be loading 140 to 150grn bullets with a bias toward 150's.

In my 280 Remington I used 140 gr. Partitions. Shot a lot of elk, deer, and antelope with that rifle and load.

IMR4350 was the powder I used but H4350 or H4831SC would both work just as well.

280AI - I currently have this cartridge in a custom Model 70 I had built. I'm using 140 gr. Accubonds or Partitions with IMR7828SSC and it seems to work very well for me. I used the 140 gr. Accubond on my grizzly bear last fall.

I like IMR 4350 with bullets of 140 grains or lighter and IMR 4831 with the 160 grain pills. The mid-range to slightly slower powders normally do well, but then again I have been shooting 280 rifles for about 45 years or so and generally stick to something that works for me instead of trying to find something new.

4831sc is superb with 140 gr accubonds out of my .280s 1/2" groups at 3040 fps.
7828ssc loads with 160 gr accubonds are also printing about 1/2" at 2925 fps.

Tried H414, Hybrid100V, IMR4831, RL17, RL19, RL22, Hunter, and Norma MRP.

I'm shooting 150gr Ballistic Tips, or 150gr ABLR.
After some testing, my go to powder is Alliant Power Pro 4000.

Loading for (2) 280 Rems.

4831sc is superb with 140 gr accubonds out of my .280s 1/2" groups at 3040 fps.
7828ssc loads with 160 gr accubonds are also printing about 1/2" at 2925 fps.

Why would the SC version be any better than the regular cut of these 2 powders other than feeding through a powder measure? I always hand weigh each charge. No measure and no trickler.

Why would the SC version be any better than the regular cut of these 2 powders other than feeding through a powder measure? I always hand weigh each charge. No measure and no trickler.
The SC versions are nicer as those powders will fit in the case better and you can get more powder in the case before it starts compacting when seating a bullet in the case. Besides feeding through the powder measure better, they also drop through the powder funnel quicker and you won't have them plug up the filler hole to where you have to tap on the funnel to get them to drop. I know that's not a big thing but if you are loading say 100 round of 280 Remington the amount of time you save by using the SC versions does add up.

Since load data is the same I figured it would be some handling issues and because Redding does not recommend using their competition seating dies with compressed loads the better packing SC seems to be preferred. Frankly I just pour the stuff slowly into the funnel.

Antelopedundee: They drop better. Also, I am close to full case capacity... and sc powders settle out better, reducing the need for a drop tube IMO. It is also what my LGS had an abundance of whereas I could get containers from the same lot. Given the same powder in a long cut vs sc, I will take the sc every time just because it drops and trickles nicer for me.
Can't figure out how to do quotes on this site. Most other sites have a "Quote Button".

Antelopedundee: They drop better. Also, I am close to full case capacity... and sc powders settle out better, reducing the need for a drop tube IMO. It is also what my LGS had an abundance of whereas I could get containers from the same lot. Given the same powder in a long cut vs sc, I will take the sc every time just because it drops and trickles nicer for me.
Can't figure out how to do quotes on this site. Most other sites have a "Quote Button".

What works for each of us is what we should do. To quote a poster simply hit the reply button next to the word like. Don't use the box with write your reply in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back