Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

270 Win Reduced Recoil Load

Matt Foley

An older couple, down the street, has become adopted grandparents for my kids. The husband is an old three gun competitor and has gone shooting with us on several occasions. He also has a reloader and has told me that he will help me reload ammo for my 270 Win. I have been using Hornady Custom Lite ammo for the kids for target shooting. My oldest daughter (16) and my son (12) do not have any issues with even heaver loads but my second daughter (14) is pretty recoil shy. She does okay with the Custom Lite ammo, from the bench, but struggles from the sitting and prone position.

I want to reload some of my own light loads. I have found Nosler Custom Competition bullets (115gr) online for $0.22 a bullet. I am thinking of loading as light as I can and then gradually increase the powder charge until it is up to a decent light load and eventually up to a elk or deer load. I guess what I am asking is for ideas on a light load. What are your opinions on the Nosler Custom Competitions, mentioned above? Should I go with a lighter bullet to begin with? What powder should I use? How light can I go on the load? What are some good tricks to help her with the recoil?

My daughter also loves hunting and really wants to get an elk. I am looking at putting her in for a RFW cow elk hunt. The success rate is really high and I think I can get her pretty close. I would like to load some hunting bullets. I am thinking of loading a good bullet that will expand well, even at slower speeds, and then try and get her with in 100 maybe 150 yards. Any ideas on a good bullet and lighter elk load? She is a really good shot with a .22, we just need to get her past the recoil and muzzle blast.

I know I have asked a lot but I will really appreciate any advice.
Thanks, Matt Foley

H4895 does really well for reduced loads. I make plinker loads for my daughter in 3-06 using 100 grain bullets over 12 grains of Unique.

Blue Dot is another powder that folks use a lot. It's kind of "next level" handloading, but lots of people use it successfully.

Blue Dot is another powder that folks use a lot. It's kind of "next level" handloading, but lots of people use it successfully.

Yep. If I recall correctly, Blue Dot is advantageous in that is uses more powder, thereby reducing the risk of a double charge. The recoil with one of these loads is VERY mild, not much more than a .22 rimfire, and the kids get to practice with the rifle they'll be hunting with.

You could try using the 100 or 110gr Nosler Accubonds, that would give you a light bullet that she could still kill deer very well with

I'm planning to load until some reduced loads for my daughters as well. I'll probably be using IMR 4227 since I already have some and have no other use for it. Lots of bullets to choose from, at the lower velocities you don't need an expensive "premium" bullet. I think I'll use 130 grain bullets. Could go lighter but I think the 130's with the reduced load will be fine and will work better at longer distances.

Here's a thread I've been saving that has some good info:

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/270-reduced-youth-load.401124/

I have lots of Blue Dot for shotgun reloading..where do I find a recipe for Blue Dot with my .270?
All my rifle reloading handbooks (Lyman, Nosler, Speer) do not list Blue Dot....

Thanks.

Skeeter

I have lots of Blue Dot for shotgun reloading..where do I find a recipe for Blue Dot with my .270?
All my rifle reloading handbooks (Lyman, Nosler, Speer) do not list Blue Dot....

Thanks.

Skeeter
You won't find it in any loading manual, hence my warning of it being "next level". That said, if you are interested point your googler at "blue dot rifle loads seafire". You'll turn up a whole bunch of info regarding the use of Blue Dot in an unconventional manner. Here's what he's posted for a 270:
Blue Dot Range Report: 270 Winchester

Rifle Used: Winchester Model 70/

Barrel Length: 24 inch

Case: Remington
Primers: CCI Large Rifle

110 grain Sierra SP:

20 grs: 2196 fps
21 grs: 2232 fps
22 grs: 2302 fps
23 grs: 2419 fps
24 grs: 2447 fps

24 grains Recommended as Maximum. This bullet does well on antelope sized deer.
Velocity starting in the 2200 fps range will allow a 200 yd load, considering the scope being set at 3.5 inches high at 100 yds. Recoil is of course reduced greatly.

130 grain Hornady SP/BT

20 grs: 2092 fps
21 grs: 2117 fps
22 grs: 2113 fps
23 grs: 2181 fps
24 grs: 2237 fps

24 grains is recommended as Maximum. Was looking for a load to start out at 30/30 velocities and 2250 fps range proved to be max. This load was also extremely accurate as was the one above. Once again a 3.5 inch high zero at 100 yds will put one dead on at 200 yds with the 24 grain load.

An older couple, down the street, has become adopted grandparents for my kids. The husband is an old three gun competitor and has gone shooting with us on several occasions. He also has a reloader and has told me that he will help me reload ammo for my 270 Win. I have been using Hornady Custom Lite ammo for the kids for target shooting. My oldest daughter (16) and my son (12) do not have any issues with even heaver loads but my second daughter (14) is pretty recoil shy. She does okay with the Custom Lite ammo, from the bench, but struggles from the sitting and prone position.

I want to reload some of my own light loads. I have found Nosler Custom Competition bullets (115gr) online for $0.22 a bullet. I am thinking of loading as light as I can and then gradually increase the powder charge until it is up to a decent light load and eventually up to a elk or deer load. I guess what I am asking is for ideas on a light load. What are your opinions on the Nosler Custom Competitions, mentioned above? Should I go with a lighter bullet to begin with? What powder should I use? How light can I go on the load? What are some good tricks to help her with the recoil?

My daughter also loves hunting and really wants to get an elk. I am looking at putting her in for a RFW cow elk hunt. The success rate is really high and I think I can get her pretty close. I would like to load some hunting bullets. I am thinking of loading a good bullet that will expand well, even at slower speeds, and then try and get her with in 100 maybe 150 yards. Any ideas on a good bullet and lighter elk load? She is a really good shot with a .22, we just need to get her past the recoil and muzzle blast.

I know I have asked a lot but I will really appreciate any advice.
Thanks, Matt Foley

I use Trail Boss for Reduced loads in larger cases like the 06' and 270. I made my grandfather a load once before he passed that was light a feather on recoil. It was a full case of the very Bulky Trail Boss and a 170 gr RN Cor Lokt made for the 30-30. No ignition issues or hang fires because the case was full. I know its available online, but in my parts its harder to find, but Trail Boss is my preferred powder for that. H4895 is my second.

Here's load data for you and how to develop your own recipe http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

Cheers

Last edited:
Lots of data out there for 4895. Do not use bullets for controlled expansion. They will not be going fast enough to open. Something like a ballistic tip or sst is more like what you want.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back