Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

25 caliber

choc dogs

I'm still looking for something in 25, just cause I don't have one..Roberts or Weatherby. I reload for everything, so ammunition cost isn't a driving factor. Mostly mule deer, since I can't draw a dang pronghorn tag. I don't need this, I want this. What says the brains here?

Similar story here: no .25 Cals and reload my own. Have you thought about a custom build in .25 Souper? It doesn't necessarily have the HP of the Weatherby but it's pretty cool in its own right.

I`d look at the 25-06AI. Really fast but still pretty efficient as well.

Souper seems to be close to a roberts +p in ballistics. Hadn't thought of why not, really don't want to form brass I guess. I know the 2506 is out there too, I've just sort of decided that when I find the rifle I want, it's going one of those cartridges...probably.

Have shot a 257Roy for the past 29yrs. It is a lazer that hits like lightning. What else can I say. Go the Roy route.

Go Old School...Savage 250-3000. It can drive a 100gr bullet about 2800fps or a Barnes 85gr somw where in the hood of 3100fps with little kick. Jusy my 2 cents.

Between the two you've listed, I'd go with the 257 weatherby. If your looking through all the 25cal options, I'd be more prone to go with the 25-06. I've shot all three and owned the Roberts and the 25-06, just feel overall the 25-06 is better "overall" when it comes to efficiency, availability of rifles and ammo, and availability/cost of reloading components. Just my 2 cents. If you want something crazy hot, go with the 257scramjet!

Love my 257Roy, it was Roy Weatherbys favorite cartridge. I've only had mine for a couple years and haven't got to shoot anything but rocks and paper with it. I hope to change that this year.

I have a Vanguard Sub-MOA in .257 Wthby and love it. I have never bought a factory round for it...mine likes the 110 gr Accubond and 115 gr TSX. It shoots 115 gr Ballistic Tip well, too. For some reason, mine likes the heavier bullets.

I am a big believer in the .257, a super whitetail whacker in the Roberts. Even better in the Wby, all of my rifles shoot extremely well with the heavier bullets also. When the 700 CDL's came out in these two calibers I couldn't decide on which to buy...........so I bought em both!

Souper seems to be close to a roberts +p in ballistics.

But in a short action. Thought I'd throw it out there since you were considering the Roberts. I think if I were buying a factory gun I'd go with the Wby too.

Just an aside---The Weatherby Vanguard Sub MOA that Calif Hunter mentions is one of the few guns that out of the box is truely a sub-moa gun. I test fire a lot of guns in a bench vise and as a whole, guns that are advertised as moa guns don't stand up to the test. The Weatherby is the one gun that consistently lives up to the claim.

I prefer the Vanguard to the Mark V. Simple design, easy to tweak (or replace) the trigger and lighter. As most know, it is a Howa rifle with some slight, mostly cosmetic, changes to Weatherby's specs.

I prefer the MK V ultralight but it's about 2x the price of the VG SubMOA. My hunt pard Crag has one...very nice.

The .257 Bob was my go-to rifle for 30 years. Used it for everything. Hand-loaded with a case-full of H4831, 215 gr. N. P., and blew big holes in a lot of blacktails. My hand-loads were so messy I always wondered why it was necessary to go with a bigger round. I eventually went to a .280 for some added penetration, and in the process I found I wasn't making as big a mess of the meat that the .257 made. So, my opinion is to go small and hand-load.

I've always wondered why the "but it fits in a short action". If my rifle weighs another 8 oz because of a long action, and I can use long bullets (heavy for caliber) why not? It's one of the things that I like about the mauser based cases (7x57, 6.5x55), I can seat bullets where I want to, and they still fit in the magazine. Btw, I'm finally leaning more toward the roy than the bob.

The difference between a long and short action is not that great. As an example, for the Rem. 700 the difference in length is less than an inch which maskes the weight difference just a very few ounces. Some short action rifles are nothing more than a long action with the bolt stop moved forward. There is a school of thought that the "short action" is more rigid and possibly more accurate but from a practical point of view, the difference is negligible.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back